[none]

From: durupt_at_rtccnh1.serigate.philips.com
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 18:20:38 +0200

Hi all

+gods

IMG, gods have an independant existence of their worshipers, here is why.

Glorantha is a world where spirits have an objective existence. No one deny the existence of ghosts, for example.
There are otherworld beings that can be summoned and can grant divine magic. The Bat is an example, Sun Hawk is an even better one. There are mortals that were deified, Sartar Pavis, the 7 mothers, who are now gods in their own right.
Orlanth, Yelm and co are only more powerful beings.

But my best argument, is that with gods as real beings, every culture has something to do about them. Their worship becomes a moral issue, will you believe their promises?

The theists have the gods that help them, the neutral gods and the enemy gods. For example, an average Sartarite worship Orlanth, Elmal*, Issaries, Ernalda ... since they are seen as friendly deities. For him Yelm (the shining orb ie the sun) is a neutral god, it is useful that he shines, but so long as you correctly worship Orlanth he will do so. And the chaotic gods are enemies as are many darkness gods.

The Malkioni, may ignore them , propriate them (the henotheist), worship them (the stygians for example) but they have to acknowledge them.

The animists see them as very powerful spirits.

The Vadeli can call them and bargain with them. It is hard, it is dangerous but succes has its rewards. That is why they won't worship them, you don't worship your trade partner usually.

For the Kralori, I don't have any ideas for the moment.

(*)Elmal is not the sun for two reasons. When there is a storm or when it snows, you don't see the shining orb through the clouds, but you are able to see the difference between day and night. AFAIK humans need light to live. So if you place storm as your prefered element, it is not the sun that is responsible for daylight, but the sky dome. The sun is only needed for heat.
It seems that you can easily switch from Elmal to Yelmalio, and Yelmalio is not the sun.

+Praxian magical societies

Stephen Martin answered my question, and made me think. The Red School of Masks was to be a lunar magical regiment. When the Lunar were expelled from Prax, they remained and became one of the magical societies.

I still think that the Sunset Society and the Star Witches form small bands. Here is why. When the nasty shaman kick a kid too many (the Khan's for example), he will be expelled from the clan. He can not live alone in the Plain, but many groups recruit such outcasts. The gagarthi are a possibility. If he don't want to become a criminal, and he does not want be a cannibal, he may join with other shamans who dabbled in dark power. Hence you may have small groups of magicians who live outside the clans. They are one step higher than the gagarthi (ie they are not actively hunted), and they are useful to curse your foes.

	Peace
		Jean