Re: cattle loans; HQ; adventuring questions; Humath

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 18:39:03 -0700

Pam Carlson insulted the generous Orlanthi tradition of cattle loans:

> >as the general compassion and regard for non-combatants, the poor, etc,
>
> What - like in making highly inflated cattle loans to them

According to Cattle-Lords and Clansmen, a typical Irish loan to a free client was 3 cows for 7 years. This was repaid at 1 cow/year for the first 3 years, 1 cow in milk or calves over the next three years, nothing in year 6 [the math seems wrong, but this is in the original], then the original loan in the seventh year, plus service. This was considered to be a transaction with no profit or loss. "Margins of profit were not the point for either party to free clientship, but rather the provision of political security."

Alex Ferguson notes

> it's also not uncommon while performing a HQ for god X
> (and so in sense, _being_ X), to _meet_ selfsame X

If I make reference to the unpublished Harmast's Saga, there's a great bit where his healer becomes Chalana Arroy in order to negotiate with Rausa. After Rausa's response, she returns to being the human healer. So during a heroquest, you act the role of the god, but don't embody the god the whole time.

Marcos Martinez wondered

> Let's suppose you are an Issraies Trader and you want to
> travel the world. Is it right to think: "Hey, let's go to the Big markets
> in downtown Glamour"?. How wold lunars deal with an Orlanthi Caravan going
> happily through their lands?. Would they just kill them? Or maybe enslave
> them? Or can they travel freely until finding some
> close-minded-Orlanthi-Hating-Yanafal Tarnils-Rambo?

I imagine the Orlanthi caravan would be allowed, if it paid some rather steep taxes and tariffs. (I also think that Issaries caravans would have more profitable places to go than an empire which already has very well-established trade. They'd probably visit trading posts on the border.)

> Another Question. Let's suppose you are a young adventurer, and you find
> this new Chaos cave, just waiting for a first-level adventurer to clean up.
> And it happens that the caves are just too much for you, so you go to the
> nearest city, and in the tabern you shout for help. Would all Uroxi leave
> their beers to run and clean the caves? Would do this the very fanatic
> only? (Well all Uroxi are fanatic:) Would they expect a payment?

Uroxi are pretty much ruled by their animal instincts, and their Hate Chaos passion. You probably could induce them to help you fairly easily.

On the other hand, they're probably going to expect ALL the treasure as payment. (Wouldn't you, if you were an Uroxi? You just defeated Chaos, after all, which was too much for some twerp first-level adventurer.)

> After two hard days, you carry your best friend's dead body to
> the next Chalana Arroy Temple (or Shrine) hoping they resurrect him for
> free because this nasty broos took all your money. The priestess has the
> resurection spell, and right now there is nobody in the local resurrection
> waiting list. Would she resurrect your friend for free and the expect you
> to pay back in goods or in work?

She'd probably ask what this friend did to get himself killed. Why waste Resurrection on the stupid? Typically, she would resurrect for free (but expect payment, such as a 10% tithe for a year). Payment up front might sway her decision to expend the Resurrection in the first place (just because nobody's on the waiting list doesn't mean that more important people won't show up dead in the next 3 days).

> RQ is, right now, the only glasses I have to clearly see glorantha

This is a good opportunity to plug Enclosure, which will be sold at Glorantha-Con V (and probably by Wizard's Attic afterwards). It will include the PenDragon Pass rules, which show you how to use Pendragon to see Glorantha (warning: you'll also need to buy a copy of the Pendragon rules).

Andrew Joelson wrote

> I was under the impresssion that Humath (Ralian Humakt) was
> also severed from Orlanth. This occured when Arkat came through, and
> Quested to separate the two.

Here are the facts in my game (1-4 are derived from published sources):

  1. Humath was a native storm deity.
  2. The Theyalans identified him as Orlanth's brother.
  3. Arkat joined this cult.
  4. It's not clear where he separated them. (Actually, we're never told it was he who did it, but it's an extremely likely deduction.)
  5. The East Ralians hate Arkat, who destroyed their "civilization" and betrayed them.
  6. The Humath (or Humakt) cult probably pretty much died out in the Second Age.
  7. The Humath cult was revived by someone who wanted it to be like the original. Through heroquests or historical research he determined what he thought was the pre-Arkat form.

I think it's more interesting for the Humakt cult to vary in different cultural areas.

Martin Laurie thinks that worshippers in other lands can't regain their magic. This is a complex issue, but I think this is not true. It may depend on the specific spells, it may depend on other things. It's not really different except in degree from the problems you have in your own land, getting magic from subcults.

It's safe to say that it's harder than in your own land, and may be so difficult as to be impossible in practical terms. But not theoretically impossible, in a general sense. A Humakt worshipper could renew his Shield spell at a Humath shrine without much difficulty. A Humathi would find it much harder to renew his Lightning spell at a Humakt temple.

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #509