different Suns

From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 22:13:03 -0700

Mr. Musk Ox wrote (BTW that is a darn spiffy name):

>I can't believe that given two cultures, say both Sun worshippers who come
>into contact, would blithely just say "Oh well, those guys over there
worship
>a different Sun to me", and then leave it at that, knowing full well that
>they are right, even though the other guys spells, priests, DI's etc, all
>still seem to work. How do those two cultures explain this? Human nature,
it
>seems to me, would seek to find some explanation and centre ground. It's
>this, I think, that I would like to see defined in some way. I know that
in
>my game I can make it up, fine, but that argument can be extended
infinitely,
>so that in the end I may as well make up my own world, history, myths,
legends
>etc,etc.

Most folk don't come into contact with the religious practice of Foreigners and when they do, usually liturgical and ritualistic differences are so profound that their practice is dismissed as "wiggy Foreigner stuff" (e.g. Arab accounts of the rituals of Viking traders). If they actually think that they are worshipping the sun god in a recognizable way - then they usually assume that they are worshipping the same god - just in a hopelessly barbaric way (e.g. Greek accounts of just about everyone else).

Jeff