Periodicals, HQ, Sharks & Otters, ++++

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 01:29:19 EDT

Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Periodicals, --

>Stephen Martin reluctantly agrees that a "periodical" doesn't require
>formal Chaosium approval:

Not reluctantly -- more wistfully, since I don't fall into their definition.

>I won't try and second-guess Chaosium's intent behind their approval
>policy, but I'll go out on a limb and suggest that they'd be unlikely
>to get upset, yay unto the degree of lawyerdom, if something was
>published in what was in "spirit" a periodical, but wandered from
>the one true publication schedule. Which isn't to say the situation
>wouldn't be different if someone claimed to put out a "periodical"
>merely to flout copyright, or whose contents were truly obnoxious in
>the eyes of Chaosium.

This is not the impression I am getting from them right now, when I am in the approval process. At the very least, I feel I would lose any goodwill I have with Chaosium (and Greg) if I go against this convention. Drastic is definitely a periodical in "spirit", as well as intention, but it doesn't meet the letter of their law.

Michael Cule
HeroQuest Metaphors

Bravo! I think I'll avoid being a magpie from now on.

BTW, you now qualify as being Illuminated. Pick up your extra game cards, but watch out for those paranoid Orlanthi....

Owen Jones <oj_at_maths.anu.edu.au>
Konta shark callers

Cool stuff. I saw something last night on fishermen in Vietnam who used to fish with otters. Now, they did this by domesticating the otters and getting them hooked on the taste of cooked fish (so they wouldn't eat the raw ones they caught), but it seems like a good model for otter hsunchen. Somewhere on the Maslo coast of Pamaltela, perhaps?

Either that, or somewhere in Teshnos.

<durupt_at_rtccnh1.serigate.philips.com>

+Praxian magical societies
>I still think that the Sunset Society and the Star Witches form small
bands.
>Here is why. When the nasty shaman kick a kid too many (the Khan's for
>example),
>he will be expelled from the clan. He can not live alone in the Plain,
but
>many groups recruit such outcasts. The gagarthi are a possibility.

I had not considered this possibility. Remember, though, that most Gagarthi are outlaws, whereas even a known member of the Sunset Society may not be. With him, most of the people in the clan are _afraid_ to kick him out.

Besides, I'll tell you the secret of the Sunset Society. Their primary goal is to bring back the Great Darkness. Really. And this is why people fear them -- because they would try, and because they might succeed.

But, the _inner_ secret of the Sunset Society is that they have a good reason for wanting to bring back the Great Darkness -- the Golden Age is on the other side. To get back to the Golden Age, you have to go through the Great Darkness again.

Of course, they don't really care if only .01% of the people survive, like last time -- the goal is more important than the minor sacrifices necessary. :)

>If he don't
>want to become a criminal, and he does not want be a cannibal, he may
join
>with other shamans who dabbled in dark power. Hence you may have small
>groups
>of magicians who live outside the clans. They are one step higher than
the
>gagarthi (ie they are not actively hunted), and they are useful to curse
your
>foes.

I would suggest that few people in Prax could survive alone like this, and the Sunset Society are not one of them. How would they live? How would they survive the next 5-day sandstorm? Their curses are no good against Storm Bull or the Wild Hunter, after all.

Telmori_at_t-online.de (Thomas Gottschall) A lot of answers (long!)

>Harrek and his
>(20) combat factor : Though it looks like his a single person (in the
>game of DragonPass) the counter isn't only Harrek. You should read "In
>defense of Superheroes" by Greg. There he says that Harrek is
>accompanied by his friends and allies. And it's his reknown that make
>his a 20.

No offense, but even I, Sir Stephen the Tactless, wouldn't recommend to someone that they _read_ such an obscure source -- you are the only person in the world I know of who has read it, who didn't get a copy from me (or David Hall, who got his copy from me).

I originally suggested it be reprinted in Wyrms Footprints, but no go. Hmmm, maybe an issue of Drastic would be appropriate. I do plan on including some of the Shadows Dance counters in Volume Darkness....

Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com> Marco's Questions

>Of course, if he were an Etyries cultist, his colleagues in the cult
would
>happily help him to plan a route for maximum profit and minimum trouble.
>But because he isn't, they'll be laughing behind their hands as the
taxman
>collects his dues and the teamsters' unions go out on strike and the
local
>underworld boss wonders where his cut went...

While I agree with most of this in principal, sometimes it is not true. Or, at least, the Issaries don't believe this to be true all the time. Or all of them don't, anyways.

In Cults of Prax, in the Biturian narrative for Seven Mothers, it talks about how Biturian and his allied spirit very specifically don't see anything wrong with the market at Moonbroth being a Lunar/Etyries market instead of an Orlanthi/Issaries one. And the "bad guy" in the narrative is a Seven Mothers priestess, though I admit an Etyries priest is involved as well.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com