ranting

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 14:55:00 -0700

Maybe I'm just a little miffed today, what with dog rescue becoming so busy lately, (due to puppy mills, pet stores, and whining owners who think dogs are objects to be discarded when they are no longer convienient - rant, rant), but I can't let this argument slide:

"I'm not gonna pay for any of the new material on Peloria, (or King of Sartar), but nothing is coming out in the gamestores."

So, let's see. If the game stores carried a whole lotta glossy scenarios about ducks with swords being chased by broos with magic treasure, you'd spend money on those?

GRoY, FS, And Entekosiad will each cost US$25, maybe more if you are in Canada. Twice the price of your average Duck scenario, but all full of great scenario ideas, especially if you put some thought into it. Add to that the wealth of cult write-ups, campaign settings, and scenarios available FOR FREE on the websites of Gloranthaphiles, along with the *excellent* articles and scenarios in the modestly priced "Tales of the Reaching Moon" fanzine, and I think Glorantha is pretty good RPG value.

Last time I was in a gamestore, all I saw were CCG's and a bunch of expensively bound FASA games fit only for housetraining a puppy. (I have read a few of them - and found more creativity and excitement in Microsoft user manuals.)

The game is dying? What, RQ? It's owned by Avalon Hill, one of those companies that fills the shelves of gamestores. Dying as a rules system? Look around - LOTS of RPG systems are dying, due to CCG's. I somehow don't think it's because we try to maintain high standards of historic complexity, myth, and metaphor for Glorantha. In fact, I think the Glorantha will be around a lot longer than most of the other game worlds, precisely *because* it is so complex and ambiguous.

So much for my little rant. I'll go back to dog stuff now.

I'd just like to add that if any of you ever abandon your dog at a pound or buy a dog from a petstore, I will have to get digijelm on your a**.

Throwing political correctness to the winds -

Pam