Some Simple Things....

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 22:36:00 GMT

First ilium_at_juno.com (Stephen Martin) said:
> Michael Cule
> HeroQuest Metaphors
>
> Bravo! I think I'll avoid being a magpie from now on.
>
> BTW, you now qualify as being Illuminated. Pick up your extra game cards,
> but watch out for those paranoid Orlanthi....

Oh, goody! That'll cut down on the lighting bills....

Then James Turner posed

> Subject: Two simple questions

Hah!

> Two questions for people who know a lot more than I do.
>
> 1. When you HeroQuest do you remain in the physical plane? If so, what
> do non heroquesting by-standers see?

Well, that's a good question. I'd say that all true HeroQuests at some stage or other involve a shift to the God Plane for the core participants. At some stage your mundane reproduction of the God Time events shifts you to the God-

Now there are always 'supporters' the part of the HeroQuesting Ring that stays behind and provides prayer and a beacon to light you home. I think that when you reach the changeover point they would see the same intersection point become real around them and see the core participants set off across the God-  but the Other World would then fade for them back into the mundane setting of the Temple or other sacred place where the ritual was being held.

> 2. How do (did) cults originate? Especially the older ones. Did a
> primitive gloranthan look up at the sun and decide it must be a god?
> Doesn't sound right to me.

THE GODS ARE REAL AS TOASTED CHEESE SANDWICHES! (Get that straight in your head. Ignore those other idiots.)

Cults started when people were seperated from Gods at the Dawning (or perhaps before). There was no need for cults when gods walked among their peoples. Only when Time and mundane reality began were cults and priests needed to keep the two in contact.

The Gods made them at first. Humans made them later.

Then David said:

> Mike Cule offers how he thinks about Free Will in Glorantha. I'd
> just like to say that his conception is pretty close to what I think early
> heroquest drafts where like, and probably close enough to the canonical
> view to be the same for most purposes. But I'd just like to say I think a
> quantitative view of Free Will(which I think Mike was implying) is a bad
> place to start if you are looking at mechanics, and I think this was a
> problem with a lot of early Chaosium HQ drafts, though its perfectly
> reasonable in idle speculation.

Would you care to state (would anybody who knows care to state) why Chaosium gave up on quantifiable Free Will. I think I could make it work.

I think I'd *have* to make it work to make a HeroQuest game playable.

Actor And Genius
AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop Of The Far Isles Medieval Society Arms Purpure An Open Book Proper: On the Dexter Page an Alpha Or On the Sinister an Omega Or. Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistendo (Resistance is Useless). Ask me about the Far Isles: Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.