Changing Orlanth

From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 00:47:14 +0200

Martin Laurie:

> ???? Of course Orlanthi has changed over time, how =
> could he not have? For a start, he has not been worshipped =
> for all time.

> over time. But according to your argument the REAL Orlanth =
> was just sitting there unchanged, the same fellow from =
> before history as now, presumably having a good chuckle???

Then again, the vast and unfathomable god Orlanth, the personification of the natural power of storm, a ruler among his peer gods might not be overly concerned with the _forms_ his human worship takes.

It is stated time and again in this debate that humans cannot fully grasp the gods and their minds. Why should such a being be changed by the way the puny humans approach him?

This is a schoolbook case where different people's Gloranthas must vary according to taste, since neither theory can be disproved.

Peter Linton Tracy:

>I read an article recently on Synaethesia, which some of you ewill have
>heard of. This is where your senses cross over, much like Marvel comics. ;-)
>Thus like my flatmate, numbers might have personalities, or letter
>colours, or sound have visuals.

Ugh, or like when I have a migraine and can smell the pain (it smells like hot plastic and ozone).

James Turner:

>2. How do (did) cults originate? Especially the older ones. Did a
> primitive gloranthan look up at the sun and decide it must be a god?
> Doesn't sound right to me.

Yikes, you'll get many answers to this one, and they will be _very_ divergent.

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind nilsw_at_ibm.net | http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689