TrollWatch.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 00:18:19 +0100 (BST)

James Frusetta defends X-ray trolls, on the grounds that they're not:

> Why in the world is the troll taking the time and effort to bother
> scanning you, which IMO is a laborious and time consuming process?

Well, because he has to "scan" me in order to "see" me at all, das why. Your comment implies some distinction between what a "casual scan" and a "detailed scan" can pick up, which wasn't evident from assorted earlier comments on this topic.

I don't argue against the principle that uz _can_ differentiate between discrete densities, I merely question whether this can be done quite readily, at significant range, and with sufficient sensitivity to distinguish things such as uterine contents. (Much less all of the above simultaneously.)

> 10 Very Silly Benefits of Darksense

Surely that's _Top_ 10 Benefits, Mr. Lettertroll? Giggleworthy, though I'm _closely_ monitoring your quota of Glorantha/RW/WWII crossovers...

Jamuz Troll's is Sorely Beset in Dara Happa:
> When the lynch mob arrives, Jamuz screams "Argh, argh, help, police! Rule
> of law, rule of law!" until the cops show up. *Hopefully*, they do. And
> protect me, rather than join the mob. Depends on how Lunar law & cops
> work, I freely admit.

I think the key question is probably what your Official Status is. If a Blue Moon Troll who's a full Lunar citizen visits Yuthuppa, then the Y-heads have got to just Cope with the fact that they're not allowed to summarily impale the Monstrous Perversion of Darkness, much as they'd like to. If you just turn up there, with no particular legal status at all (in a fit of plot discontinuity) then well, brace yourself. Doubtless there are all sorts of grades and permutations in between. If you're some sort of Foreign Troll, maybe you have to have yourself registered as Visiting Monster -- presumably that fact that you weren't slaughtered by a border patrol implies, at least tangentially, that there's _some_ sort of legal status for you in the empire.

> the Laws of the Moonson are probably even more detailed, and
> there's likely a section dedicated to "Dangerous Nonhumans."

Subsection 4, paragraph 3, "applying burning crosses thereto"? ;-)

> In Sartar, some drunken bastard of a chief can lop my silly head off if
> it strikes his whim, because as an outsider I've got no rights at all.

I can see I'm dealing with someone who's studied Sartarite law in some considerable detail!

Alertly,
Alex.

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #512