Damn that Darksee

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 22:34:58 -0400 (EDT)

Daniel McCluskey, another son of Trolldom, writes:
> WHY do Kyger Litor shrines teach Darksee???? I can't imagine a
> more useless spell for Trolls.

Sunspear! ;)

> that just REEKS of crappy game mechanics to me. Why would KL give a
> spell (at EVERY shrine, according to troll gods) that is of little or no
> use to her children?

  Supposedly it allows "creatures which are primarily nocturnal" to see in full daylight -- yahoo. So you can use your crappy uz eyesight in daylight...
  Since it's the Anti-Blinding spell, though, it might also help protect a troll's eyes from the glare and pain of the sun -- I see it protects trollkin and cave trolls. Not a powerful use per se, but certainly a useful one (and it does last 6 hours). Very Powerful Trolls probably don't venture into daylight without it cast on them.

> Does anyone have an idea? I would be really interested in an
> inspired myth or explanation that would allow me to avoid directly
> contradicting published sources...

Uninspired, QuikMyth:

When Yelmy showed up in Wonderhome, the trolls got their butts kicked. But KL and the legions of Darkness managed to win local, small victories. One such was wresting away part of the Power of Sight, which the trolls can use to their own benefit. Another was wresting away the power of Blinding, which was originally a power of Light. When Yelm returned to the Surface, KL was able to turn these powers against him.

Not great, but might suggest something better...