Frying tonight (how to cope with heretics)...

From: Mystic Musk Ox <mab_at_sdc1.bnsc.rl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 12:04:34 GMT

<lots of good arguments from Peter Metcalfe and David Cake snipped for those worshipping other gods being deluded, wrong, perverse, demon worshippers, etc>

Ok, These arguments make sense to me, I can now see how this can work inside a game based on Glorantha. I think the difficulty that I've had so far is with the 'everything is true' version of events. I am certainly happy to accept that it works this way (although I would, of course, still secretly like to know how many HP Yelm has...hm, perhaps this is how Illumination, or Godlearnerism works "Yes, Orlanth, he's a nasty bugger, 90 hit points, AC -4, put him in with the 20 hit dice monsters"). Now all we have to do is classify which gods really ARE the demons, usurpers etc,etc, and which ones are right :-)

> In game terms, its probably OK if you start from a position of
>allowing them to gain spells that the other culture also has, and work from
>there. But it would require a very tolerant priest to allow foreigners to
>come in and start practicing their pagan rituals in their temple. Allowing
>foreigners who worship a very similar seeming god to become proper
>initiates (including learning the right way of performing the rituals) is a
>better alternative.

Yep, this seems a good solution to the problem, making them become initiates, probably making it a bit easier than normal because they are only slightly misguided...and are at least already on your side...

thanks all,

Mark.