DH corrupt cops, Skyfall Lake

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 07:54:00 -0400 (EDT)

Pam Carlson writes:
> I dunno. I think in much of Dara Happa it would go something like this:
> (Snip: Crooked city guard joins mob, has Jamuz' guts for garters).

<Chuckle> I win either way -- either the foul Lunars are proven to be corrupt hypocrites, or Jamuz lives. Win-Win for me. :)

Fun roleplaying in there -- I can just see the interplay between the non-DH Lunar unit escorting a visiting troll, and the local DH cops... "Say there, boy, why don't you take yew and yer men over there fer lunch. We'll watch that thereah monstah for yew. No trouble at all... Theyah gone - -- quick, grab the rope! Weah having us a lynching!" A chance to convert plots from cop shows about Lunar PCs having to protect the horrible drug dealer/ murderer/child molester/etc. from mob violence and bad cops.

Of course, the local cops don't want to kill the troll right away -- hold him in a cell and find some local crimes to blame on him. "Foul monstah, we know yew killed those 127 people and burglarized the shrine." ;)

Joe R. Smith asked:
> thought there was a Skyfall Lake fishing scenario in Trollpak, but I can't
> find it (looks like there's a deficiency of memory as well as imagination.
> What was I talking about?).

The "Anayalys of Aquatic Fauna Encounters" in the Jonstown Compendium pullout? Which is from... er, Trollgods, I think. Some pretty good plot ideas in it, and a selection of the weird stuff you'll pull out of the lake.

> plots

Considering the sheer amount of monsters in Skyfall Lake, there's (IMO) always a chance that you'll hook something _really_ nasty. Which breaks the line, rises up, swats your boat and proceeds to swim towards Crabtown, intent on havoc and power lines. You could use nearly any B-movie (appropriately toned down) with a sea monster in it; the players help fight the menace.

Or if your players have access to water-breathing spells, have 'em retrieve something a local troll potentate dropped in the (shallow) end of the lake.

> what's in that chaos city under the lake,
Ominous hints that Cthulhu lives there are MGF; usually scared players goofy, in my experience. Myths that a slain chaos god lives there, sightings of some large octopus-like critter in the depths, occasional large lake monsters found ripped apart by something even larger, etc. Great fun. Skyfall Lake's no fun unless you're afriad to actually go on it.

> what falls out of the hole in the sky,
Anything! Elric creatures and demons are particularly fun. Weird broken items. The Flying Dutchman, in small pieces.