Trolls in Sartar ; Myth/history

From: Simon D. Hibbs <S.Hibbs_at_fcrd.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 13:21:43 +0100 (BST)

Nick Brooke :

>James laments:
>
>> If I'm, say, a troll, and I wander into Sartar, someone will stick
>> sharp pointy things in me PDQ
>
>Good thing too. Trolls eat babies, don't they?

However, there are Troll trade routes through Dragon pass. The Troll caravans undoubtedly travell at night, harbouring up in defensible possitions by day well out of sight. Nobody would attack them on the move at night, when their powers are at their height and attacking a well defended caravan by day, probably in a shady spot such as the depths of a thick, dark forest is not an appealing thought. Anyway, who would necesserily want to raid for goods that a Troll values?

Owen Jones :

>Two Humakti, Bjork from Ralios and Bjorn from Sartar, are on a joint
>heroquest (don't ask why), during which they meet Humakt. Orlanth is
>there, and is in trouble fighting some beast. Bjork thinks he should rush
>to Orlanth's aid as Humakt is Orlanth's kin. Bjorn sees the combat as
>ritualistic and will not interfere, honour being more important than
>kinship ties, which he knows Humakt severed. What does Humakt do?

What did Humak do in the orriginal myth? WWhy should he do anything different, just because Bjorn and Bjork are there? Unless they interfere somehow.

Erich Schmidt :

>In your example above on how Arkat subverted Lokamyadon's interdiction, I
>now know that the Humakt religion is wrong, it's missing a fundimental
>portion as the myth of Humakt severing his storm ties is false. Does it
>still "work"? Sure. Humath is a god of truth, death, and storm (I'm
>assuming at this point as I am not familliar with your reference)so if
>the rituals only focus on an aspect of a deity then they only get that
>aspect's power. You can only get Orlanth Thunderous magics from West King
>Wind.

Why is the Humakt cult wrong? Do they have any storm powers? Are Humakt Swords subject to the same fealty relationship to Orlanth chiefs as, say, Lankor Mhy lawspeakers? I don't think so. Presumably, if the Humath/Arkat theory is correct, Arkat heroquested to sever ties to the storm pantheon. A Humakti heroquester would surely be able to quest to prove his cults independence if necessery. How much more true can it be?

Heroquesting can MAKE a myth true. After all, we are talking about myth here, not history, right?

Simon