Re: heroquesting and so on

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 11:04:16 +0100

In message , David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au> writes

>Mike Cule asks
>>Would you care to state (would anybody who knows care to state) why Chaosium
>>gave up on quantifiable Free Will. I think I could make it work.
>
> For me personally, I gave up on quantifiable Free Will because it
>became obvious to me that a gift and geas was a perfect example of the
>exchange of Free Will for magic power, and it seemed so obviously better
>than the various Chaosium and Chaosium derived systems I had heard about or
>read about, all of which worked on the Will is a number, you lose will
>points for power. Heroic level passions and traits also figured in my
>thinking somewhat (and trying to have a set of mechanics that unifed this
>with gifts and geases seemed too hard for too little gain).

Well, I'd say that the gift-geas exchange is in fact a way of gaining HeroQuested powers without

  1. going on a HeroQuest or
  2. sacrificing Free Will.

You voluntarily accept restrictions to your Will so that your core capacity for making decisions doesn't fall. Note that your behaviour under the geas hasn't become mechanical: you can still go against the restriction but must accept the consequences if you do.

I hadn't thought much about traits and passions when I did the last attempt at my HQ system because they weren't in RQ. But now I've just spent three months running PENDRAGON and Chaosium are supposed to be designing the new Glorantha game around the same mechanics, I suppose I'll think again.

Hmm, perhaps when your Free Will drops you can no longer alter your traits....

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #515