Darksense, God Subjectivity, How light behaves in Glorantha, etc

From: rhwolfe_at_ix.netcom.com
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 17:45:46 -0500 (CDT)

In reading recent GDs, I was reminded of a story in one of the Callahan's Crosstime Saloon books. A man watches a centipede walking and asks it, "How do you coordinate all those legs?" The centipede says, "I've never thought about that before," then takes a second to think about it as he walks. He immediately trips over his own legs and can never walk again.

Frankly, I've been running and playing Gloranthan RQ for almost twenty years, and some of you might be surprised how infrequently my players (or my characters) have wanted to know exactly how Darksense worked. Or whether Orlanth was a different god in Sartar than he was in Pamaltela. Or whether light curves or flies straight. In fact, I can count the number of times these subjects have come up on one hand. Without using any fingers.

So you'll forgive me if when I read the Digest lately, my mouse arrow is inexorably drawn to the delete button. To get back to my centipede story, I worry that all this thought and argument about HOW things work is distracting from the ultimate truth about Glorantha... it works just fine, thank you. RQ 2 worked pretty damn well. RQ 3 isn't bad either. You're thinking too damn hard and not playing enough. Get out those dice, blow the dust of your Cults of Prax, and get to it. Nothing makes me sadder than to ask a Digest luminary when was the last time he actually played RQ and get the answer... "Dunno. Been years, really. But I have developed a fascinating theory about the nature of the Crimson Bat's digestive system."

I have an interesting theory about that too. If any of my PCs ever end up inside the Bat, the PCs will be dead. Unless I decide it'd be fun to do a little Jonah and the Whale schtick. And then they won't be. And, as much as it might shock you, I won't worry about the thaurophysics of it all. I'll just wing it, like always, and do whatever strikes my fancy at the time. My Glorantha will keep zipping along, all its legs a'flyin'. And no one will care if the Orlanth they call on for help is somehow different in Saird.