Resurection/body shop

From: Benedict Adamson <ben_at_cd.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 17:49:38 +0100

On Jun 18, 2:29pm, owner-glorantha_at_erzo.org wrote:
> [When resurrecting] Wouldn't
> it be better (if this is possible) to capture the spirit... and bind it
into... a freshly sacrificed body.

> >From a moral point of view this would raise no problems for a chaotic/evil
> cult (see Thanatar). As for other cults thats arguable but parts of the
 lunar
> empire would practice it.
>
> This kind of practice could lead to high ranking people becoming practically
> immortal, imagine when your body starts to get old sacrifice a war
> prisoner/criminal/slave and hay-presto you've got a healthly young body.

There is a Larry Niven SF story with a relevant plot (although it has high-tech medicine inserting a central nervous system, rather than magic inserting a spirit), as follows. The children of a wealthy person are kidnapped, one is killed (I think) and the other recovered safely, but seems never quite to recover from the ordeal. The kid-nappers are never found. Years later a PI realizes that the kid-napper IS the apparent survivor, having murdered both children and then swapped bodies.

Could make an intersting adventure plot. Add Krasht, Illumination, people in high places and stir...

`But my dear, breasts are simply OUT this year.' `Oh, and this slave girl cost me a FORTUNE.'