Undeath for Everyone!

From: Simon D. Hibbs <S.Hibbs_at_fcrd.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 11:11:38 +0100 (BST)

David Miller :

>Wouldn't it be better (if this is possible) to capture the spirit (as
>hangs around the body for seven days before fading into the otherworld)
>and bind it into an animal or into a freshly sacrificed body.

>This kind of practice could lead to high ranking people becoming
>practically immortal, imagine when your body starts to get old sacrifice
>a war prisoner/criminal/slave and hay-presto you've got a healthly young
>body.

>comments?

What you have got is a nice fresh zombie. Various cults have methods which achieve similar effects - Vivamort, Gaark the Calm, etc. On the whole the results are not considered socialy acceptable and invariably entail rather gruesome disadvantages.

The ability to posess another body is not available to all spirits. The closest example of what you are describing I can think of is one of the Chaotic Features - The spirit of the dead chaot immediately attacks it's killer in spirit combat and if successful can posess and take over the killer's body. The fact that this is a chaos feature might clue you in to just how unnatural this sort of practice is to Glorantha.

Simon