Playability

From: Maria & Michael <michael.raaterova.7033_at_student.uu.se>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 13:10:40 +0000

rhwolfe_at_ix.netcom.com said:

>You're thinking too damn hard and not playing enough.

I have to second that opinion. Glorantha is a game world. It's good fun exercising one's God Learning skill, but if it doesn't enrich the gaming in Glorantha it's pointless.

I don't need to decide if the gods have free will or not. If a character during a violent desert storm in Prax has a vision in which the Stormbull shows him the evils of Than Ulbar and urges him to cleanse that foul place of chaos and quest for the Star Crystal, the character will believe it was a vision sent from the Stormbull. It will give the player and the campaign a sense of mythical/epic grandeur.

The vision could have been sent from the Stormbull himself acting of his own volition, or induced by the dying DI of a Storm Khan on a crusade in Than Ulbar, or merely a figment of the character's delusions of grandeur, or a sent by an avatar of the Stormbull. Does it matter? Who cares where that vision _really_ came from? The character's quest to cleanse Than Ulbar will take him closer to Stormbull herohood irregardless of whence the vision came from.

The PCs in my campaign are on a quest to resurrect Genert. They believe that they have been chosen by Arachne Solara. Does it matter if that is _really_ the case or not?

Playability is, as always, the most important aspect of anything Gloranthan.