Re: Trollkin Curse

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_danet.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 97 10:30:27 EDT

> From: <TTrotsky_at_aol.com>
> David Weihe:
> << Multiple births usually yield trollkin, Second or Third Age, because
> there are a limited number of usable sites (for implantation) in the
> modern Uzko womb. Either the siblings push each other from the good
> sites, or else one (a future Value) gets the best site and they others
> must settle for the "stony ground" remaining. Any gynocologists in the
> list can expand this diagnosis. >>
> I'm not a gynaecologist, but part of my job does involve fertility
> treatments for childless couples... Your theory is plausible biologically,
> but runs up against the problem that until Naxili Garang mucked things up,
> trollkin were born singly. OK, maybe they were all superior trollkin in those
> days, but you still have the problem of some single births having been
> trollkin and others dark trolls.

Single birth embryos emplant in a randomly selected section of the lining. Some of these find good sites and become Uzko, some find marginal sites and become Value Enlo, and some find poor sites and become miscarriages within a short time, and are not noticed or counted,just as the Uzhim don't count their trollkin births because the weaklings are immediately eaten. (see Andrew Joelson's discussion with GS, reported a couple digests back)

My question is with how Naxili Garang caused multiple births of trollkin rather than single births.

> Daniel McCluskey's theory about Black Eater invading the womb is a fine
> theory for those who want it all to sound mythic rather than RW biological.
> Makes sense of the idea of needing purification after a trollkin birth, too.
> Even if it's not literally true, it may well be what the XU midwives believe
> - - which is really all that matters in-game.

The Black Eater theory is the one claimed by Nysalorian apologists (who say Kyger Litor summoned him, and then he got away from her control and turned on Korasting) such as the Lunars. No serious student of Uz would ever give it credence (especially where they could hear you)!