Glorantha the Fiction

From: Klyfix_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 03:41:02 -0400 (EDT)

Pam Carlson noted....

> "I'm not gonna pay for any of the new material on Peloria, (or King of
> Sartar), but nothing is coming out in the gamestores."

       Who said that? I recall saying something about not wanting to spend $25 apiece on GRoY or the Entk-thingy, but I don't generally spend $25 on any books. Also, I've read _King of Sartar_ and if the writing is compareable in those three books I'm most assuredly not going to pay $25 for them. KoS is interesting, but not (IMHO) a terribly great read.

> So, let's see. If the game stores carried a whole lotta glossy
> scenarios about ducks with swords being chased by broos with magic
> treasure, you'd spend money on those?

       Nope. I've never bought a pure scenario book.

       (later memory clicks)

       Oh, I did get a used copy of the _Crash Course Manual_ for _Paranoia_, but that's arguably not a "pure scenario book".

       (scans later around abode)

        Dang, and I've got the "Griffin Island" box set! Again, bought used. But it's a campaign setting, not a scenario book...umm, yeah, that's it.

        Still, I've never _run_ a purchased module. Everything I've ran came out of my head from a variety of inspirations.

> GRoY, FS, And Entekosiad will each cost US$25, maybe more if you are in
> Canada. Twice the price of your average Duck scenario, but all full of
> great scenario ideas, especially if you put some thought into it. Add
> to that the wealth of cult write-ups, campaign settings, and scenarios
> available FOR FREE on the websites of Gloranthaphiles, along with the
> *excellent* articles and scenarios in the modestly priced "Tales of the
> Reaching Moon" fanzine, and I think Glorantha is pretty good RPG value.

      Actually, I'd like to see a good novel or short story collection set in Glorantha. Not a bunch of legend/history stuff that doesn't add up to a greater whole like KoS (again IMHO) but a good, comprehensible story with perhaps intereludes of the legend and history stuff. I can't see something like _King of Sartar_ being of interest to any but folk who are already Gloranthaphiles but a good story just might bring in new people to the fold.

V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham...

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #522