Darn youngsters (joke)

From: Bernuetz, Oliver: WPG <Bernuetz.Oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 16:06:14 -0400

Nick Brooke (that young pup) responds to my response to (you get the picture)...

>> The argument rests on the belief that RW analogies would be
>> accurate in a fantasy world. It's very dangerous to rely too
>> heavily on analogies as any anthropologist can tell you. Real
>> fantasy results from an examination of a world that is truly
>> different from that which we know.

>(1) Glorantha is "truly different" from the world we know. Surely.
>Nobody has said that it isn't.

That's not always the impression I get on the Digest. The limitations of this form of communication I guess.

>(2) As Loren succinctly said many moons ago, we should emphasise what=
>'s different about Glorantha, but should *not* simply impose change for the
>sake of change. Otherwise it's impossible for us to understand what a
>Gloranthan human might do, based on knowledge of the real world. Our
>ability to identify with our characters (and comprehend their societies)
>goes out the window, and we might as well be playing SimGlorantha.

I wholeheartedly agree but sometimes you have to put aside RW analogies and try and imagine something that we have no previous examples for like Uz or Aldryami society.

>(3) Arguments for objectively real deities and demonstrably correct
>myths lead us down the garden path towards fanatical, will-less, "inhuman"
>worshippers, entire cultures and societies of misled individuals followin=
>g demonstrably false myths, and the destruction of established Gloranthan
>cultural diversity and history. These seem undesirable to me.

I'm arguing for some degree of objectively real deities not necessarily something that's absolute. I'm not in favour of demonstrably correct myth I just
think that some myths are going to be based on misconceptions or misinterpretations of things. I can see how the things you fear could come about but I don't think they'll automatically appear if there's more objectivity.

I'm liking the deity as mask model more and more. There have been Gloranthan societies following false myths. What was his name
Lokymaydon? Didn't he pretend to be Orlanth for a while?

I'm all in favour of Gloranthan cultural diversity and history I just think there's
something objective beneath it all but not necessarily something Gloranthans

can perceive.

>> If two cultures are clashing or someone's investigating their
>> cultural beliefs ... it's nice to know the basis of their belief.

>Genuine mythic experience, in all cases. It ain't disprovable.

I don't believe that all myths are true. Human perception can really limit understanding as far I'm concerned. It's all too possible that events may have been misinterpreted. Besides just because the "truth" of a matter is unknowable to Gloranthans doesn't mean I and others don't want to know.

(Thanks for the seconds and thirds, I'll pass on the fourths-I'm stuffed).

Oliver D. Bernuetz
bernuetz.oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca