Young! I'm _very_ young! etc.

From: Paul Chapman <mercutio_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 19:05:24 +0100

Hi all,

I'm going to rant a bit in a minute, so put your galoshes on! Sorry to be a bit off-topic, too...

Age:

Oliver writes:
>> I get the distinct impression that most of the people on this
>> digest are in the 30-35 year age group (with some notable
>> distinctions). Is this true? If so where are all the young
>> players? The ones with more money than brains?

and Nick replies:
>Hahahahahahaaaa! I'm Young, I tell you, Young! (1968: a good year).

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!! And I'm even Younger (1975: I wouldn't know if it was a good year because I was only a baby) ;-) Unfortunately, I have far more brains than money, but I'm working on that! Seriously, I'd like to see more young blood too... not that there's anything wrong with the older Gloranthaphiles (quite the contrary) but without new people, Glorantha will eventually die out (unless we all become immortal somehow). <cheeky grin>

Rants:

Small ranty bit:- would someone please remove that TXMAIL account from the list! Soon we're going to have an endless loop of digests comprised solely of old digests! Aargh!

Big ranty bit:- Well, I'll control myself a bit, since rhwolfe is going to feel the fires of Hades from this digest, I'll bet. Time for British sarcastic mode:-

Can anyone explain _why_ people join mailing lists and newsgroups and then post messages suggesting the participants should discuss something else? Frex, I would think that if someone joined a Trainspotters mailing list and told them they should get out there and _drive_ trains, they'd be a bit of an idiot, wouldn't they? After all, he had just joined the Train_spotting_ list, not the train_driving_ list. It's also a bit like posting to and ibm.pc newsgroup saying that Macs are better! Nobody there gives a shit, they want to discuss PCs not Macs! This is one of the reasons the newsgroups are full of crap (and Spam), and only dedicated, moderated lists like this seem to work properly. It's all Spam, Spam, Spam, Chips, Beans, Spam, Egg and Spam! Oh, and people telling PC users that Macs are better....

rhwolfe (for I know not your name), you are being more than a little foolish. See the subject line of the e-mail message you're now reading? Does it say "RuneQuest Digest?" I think you'll find on close inspection that is says "Glorantha Digest". Here's the score:- we are here to discuss Glorantha, Greg Stafford's fantasy world, and matters related to it. This usually includes RuneQuest, since the game was (and still is, until the advent of G:TG) closely tied to Glorantha. But Glorantha is the primary emphasis, the rules thing is just an aside or an interface with Glorantha. Most of us _like_ talking about Darksense, Sociology, the ins and outs of Religion, bendy light, etc. That's how we are, and modern technology makes it gloriously convenient for us to do it, despite the physical distances between us. We love it. We're mad for it, in fact. And the concept of Free Will _lets_ us do it. So there.

<Adopt Harry Enfield tone>:
If rhwolfe wants to subscribe to the Glorantha Digest, and read what we're talking about, he can do that and good luck to him. And if he wants to post something, and it's even vaguely relevant to Glorantha, I'll appreciate his input. Even if he posts somethin that isn't Gloranthan, but is interesting It'd probably be alright by me...

...but if he comes onto _our_ digest and starts telling us what we're talking about is stupid or irrelevant, and starts patronising us about not playing some game or other as often as he thinks we should, then I'd say "OI, wolfe, NO! Whilst I respect your rights as a digest member to post to it, and I'm sure you've posted something interested before, I'll not have you telling us what to talk about or what to do, and if you don't want to read about Glorantha then you don't bleedin' well have to!"

Well, that's my reasonable stance on the matter.

Cheerio for now everyone, gotta go to Wong Kei's. Best Wishes, Paul.

P.S. No offence. ;-)