Glorantha: the Books

From: Klyfix_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 03:33:14 -0400 (EDT)

Jane Williams notes...

> From: <Klyfix_at_aol.com>
> > Also, I've read _King of Sartar_ and if the writing is compareable in
> > those three books I'm most assuredly not going to pay $25 for them. KoS
is
> > interesting, but not (IMHO) a terribly great read.
> Sorry, but I did attempt to read GRoY and FS, after reading KoS. They're
> far less readable, and from the DragonPass/Sartar POV, almost totally
> irrelevant. Can't comment on Ento-wotsit, as Wizard's Attic haven't
> delivered it yet, but I don't hold out much hope. I think to get
> anything like a scenario out of any of them, you need to be a very very
> good GM and have a lot of free time. Faster to invent your own.
>
> > I can't see something
> > like _King of Sartar_ being of interest to any but folk who are already
> > Gloranthaphiles...
> I hate to break this to you, but KoS was what got me hooked on Glorantha.

       Interesting; what possessed you to read it in the first place? I did actually find KoS interesting, and I've gotten some ideas out of it, but I was already interested in Glorantha and liked the narrative bits in CoP and CoT. How does it succeed for you were GRoY and FS failed?

        I suppose to me KoS was a bit like reading a history textbook; I used to have one from around 1920 that was pretty interesting and KoS sort of felt like that. I figure that for most people something closer to a standard novel or short story collection would be more appealing. I'd not want to pay $25 for (effectively) another KoS, but I might pay $8 for Gloranthan short story collection or a real novel.

V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham.... who likes toasted cheese sandwiches with tartar sauce