minor topics

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 21:08:29 +1200

Paul Chapman:

>Could someone please cite me the source material for the
>Humath/Humakt/Arkat thing please? I'd like to check it up.

The published source is the Broken Council Guidebook which describes Maklamann, a hero of the modern Humakti cult, as worshipping a native storm god Humath. Since Maklamann is Numero Uno in the Dari Alliance, Humath logically is the native storm god of Ralios.

The next major source (although it's not canon AFAIK) is 'when Arkat was a Duck' which can be found in Delecti's web pages (Eric Rowe is the author). Another story which may also be of interest, although non-canonical, is 'How Humakt came to Brithos' (written by me and also to be found at Delecti's Lore Library) which attempts to illustrate how the Westerners would _understand_ the relationship between Arkat and Humakt.

Marc Willner:

>In the character creation rules for Aldryami in the Elder Races Book, it
>says that beginning elves get Elf Sence at 35%, but never describes it.
>Does anyone have any ideas.

The description is buried within a paragraph on page 30 of the Elder Races Book.

        '[the elves] possess an 'Elfsense'.  This sense permits
        the elf, by touch, to detect the health and emotional
        state of the target and whether or not it is stressed
        or in pain.  It also gives the elf details about the
        soil - the soil's nutrients, moisture and overall quality'.

It has been speculated that the elf may communicate with the forest via the elfsense. An example is in the sidebar on p28 where the wood priestess advises the elf on meeting Outsiders to send her emotions 'into the forest so that the wind rustles and the leaves flutter with your fear. This way you will contact us all...'.

IMO when an elf matures sexually, the elfsense becomes fully operational and she is not able to leave the forest without experiencing a great sense of loss. In younger elves, the sense is not as developed and some of them are able to go beyond the forest confines. Certain elves have a retarded or warped elfsense such that they cannot feel the forest (rootless) or take pleasure in the misfortunes of the forest (renegade).

There has been recent speculation on the list about the impact of elfsense on religion and society which should be findable in the archives.

Oliver Bernuetz:

>There have been Gloranthan societies following false myths. What was his
>name Lokymaydon? Didn't he pre

tend to be Orlanth for a while?

His myth was only 'false' because he lost the war and nobody believes it anymore IMO (much like the God Learners, the Spolites and the EWF are considered to be false beliefs as of 1621). But there was no way of knowing whether his claim was false on objective terms (save his three 'defects' but what HeroQuester does not have defects?). He did not pretend that he was Orlanth, he genuinely _believed_ that he had a special relationship with Orlanth just as Alexander did with Zeus/ Ammom/Ahura Mazda or Hon Xiaquon with Jesus. I don't think that Illumination grants a sense of cynicism about the Divine World although some Illuminates are cynics.