Re: No Subject[ivism]

From: Peter Donald <neurolab_at_psyc.queensu.ca>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 97 11:17:21 -0400

On Fri, 20 Jun 1997 05:09:49 GMT, Alex Ferguson wrote:

>Oliver Bernuetz asserts that:
>> This notion that everyone's right and nobodies wrong smacks of humanism
>> not theism.
>
>OK, I'll bite. Who in Glorantha is "wrong", then?

        Everybody. The assumption that there's some objective Truth out there doesn't imply that anybody knows exactly what it is.

>The trouble is, while the "subjectivists"
>seem largely happy with the Gloranthan status quo, that certain
>"objectivist" splinter groups insist on demanding that Glorantha be
>"fixed".

        Actually I'd say the "objectivists" on the whole seem happy with the Gloranthan status quo anteincendibellum (pre-KoS, roughly).

>If this all just comes down to a personal preference, fine and dandy.
>If someone wants to assume, or construct, or JeSeven out of late-60's-
>to-early-80's obscuria an Objective Reality that suits their campaign
>purposes, or simply their personal predilictions, then good on 'em.

        Agreed, except that I'd state it somewhat differently - if you want to assume or construct a Subjective Glorantha out of late-80s to mid-90s obscuria, good on you. I'll stick with what works for me. I do, however, reserve the right to piss and moan if such dribbles of new material as appear from time to time aren't of any particular interest or use to me, drop my hard-earned on something else, and stump for things that I'll find useful/interesting/worth opening my wallet for.