Gloranthan Magic and objectivity

From: Daniel McCluskey (Volt) <"Daniel>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 08:56:28 -0700

Another quick note on Gloranthan obj/sub "reality"

In Glorantha, Magic is real, and objectively observable, but that doesn't nescessarily mean that everyone Believes in it...

(note: the following is written with the intent of contrasting between
the RW and Glorantha, and is exaggerated to make that contrast -- it is not meant to attack or disrespect anyones RW beliefs or faith... or even nesc reflect my own ;-)

        We live in a world ("RW") where "the gods and magic" are observably false, however EVERY major culture that I know of has believed in Magic and/or the Supernatural in one form or another for as long as there have been people and cultures. Even today in america, Atheists are the exception and not the rule. Magic and Gods are a part of OUR daily lives, and we can "Prove" that they don't exist. How then can we assume that just because Magic EXISTS in Glorantha, everyone believes in it? (especially in someone elses magic) frex --
In the west: "The Heathen Priests do not do Magic... they simply take credit for natural phenomenon and random coincidence. Only the Invisible God grants Magic."
Orlanthi: "that traitor Harmast thinks he can take advantage of my having been unluckily struck by a random bolt of lightning? I'll prove him a worm before all when I call down the righteous wrath of Orlanth on his sorry carcass and fry him to a crisp!" ZZ vs Shargash: "stoopid hoomen think he know death magic? Not So! It Lord Demon taunting me and giving stoopid hoomen strength so we kin fite good. Darkness only place where Magic Is!" DH Yelmies vs Pentan Yelmies: "Lord Yelm is smiting us with this curse of Nomads! forgive our imperfection oh great emporer! We your worshippers are repentant of our transgressions! What sins have we commited to cause this invasion? Your justice protect us"

        If people in the RW can believe that AIDS is a curse sent by god to rid the world of homosexuals, People in Glorantha are certainly capable of Believing that the Magic of another Sect/Temple is not really Magic at all... regardless of evidence to the contrary. (OJ Simpson is objectively INNOCENT, after all!)

        Remember -- My magic is the gift of a True and Powerful God. Your "magic" is just bad luck on my part.

        Human beings by their nature view the world in such a way as to support their beliefs. Rationality is just a modern fad superimposed on aeons of hysteria.

danm
(may Himile protect us from the results of our posts...)