Darksense, and enlohim.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 18:41:10 +0100 (BST)

Daniel McCluskey on going from single to multiple enlo births:
> The obvious stopgap fix for this is of course to force the birth
> even EARLIER, saving the bulk of the starved and useless wretches.

Hrm. That might have that effect, but why would anyone _want_ to do this? The Quest that had this result is characterised as one of (the many) _failed_ attempts to lift the Curse, IIRC.

> isolated groups (Ice trolls IMG) still have single enlo
> of marginally higher quality (when compared to the multiple enlo
> births).

Could be, sources vary on Ice Trolls. Trollpak claims they're a pre-Curse offshoot, and that's likely what they claim themselves, while Greg, shameless cynic that he is, has suggested that they're Dark Trolls who snack on their newborn 'kin, so whether they bear single or multiple merely effects the number of quality of the hors d'oeuvres.

Andrew Joelson remarks, on this latter theory:
> The conversation with Greg, that I reported several Digests ago,
> was from a private conversation outside the Chaosium booth at GenCon.
> (Maybe ten years ago.) This is hardly 'official', but was probably an
> accurate picture of Greg's ideas, _at the time_.

I've heard Greg repeat this more than once, most recently at Con3D. (In answer to a question about something else -- great way to get info.) I think Sandy was on hand to nod sagiciously at it on that occassion, as well. I believe the current Opinion is that they're biologically equivalent to Dark Trolls, for all intents. This could be Officially True, a True Secret, or just One Man's Opinion, I have no real idea.

Q: What do Uzhim on Valind's Glacier sing to a Hollri on his birthday?

Dan again, on troll "sonar":
> my take -- Trolls can determine whether you are [...] holding a big
> knife under your shirt [...] but can't tell you if you are holding the
> knife behind your back

Why, what's the distinction? How do you quantify how much a troll can "see through"? If they can see through soft flesh with enough sensitivity and penetration to see other, marginally distinct soft flesh (like stomach or uterine contents), why can't they see a very distinct, hard, dense object, through (at the most) a bit more?

Slainte,
Alex.