Free Will vs. Responsibility.

From: Bernuetz, Oliver: WPG <Bernuetz.Oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 17:21:23 -0400

Alex Ferguson responding to my Responsibility alternative to Free Will.

>I'd raise that as a point of agreement, not as criticism! I think that's
>very much how the Orlanthi view the situation, except they'd put it
>more strongly; their gods have taken _oaths_ not to act, and if they
>did, Extremely Bad Stuff would happen.

>However, I don't think it's a view that anything like a unanimity of
>Glorantha cultures would sign up to. So even if it's true, it's not
>True for the Dara Happans, the Pelandans, the Carmanians, the Kralori,
>the Malkioni, the Brithini...

I was just suggesting it as a "true" alternative to those who disliked the idea
of deities with limited Free Will rather than as a universal Truth that Gloranthans believed in. The end results are pretty close.

Alex again responding to my desire for some kind of objective history::

>I think that's understandable, an in a philosophical sense, I'd have to
>agree that some sort of "objective history" must exist, for all reasonable
>models of the universe (and maybe even for the Orlanthi one, too ;-) --
>hey, put that thunderbolt down, you'll have someone's eye out with that!).
>Trouble is, no-one is _ever_ going to agree on what it is. Gloranthans
>certainly don't, and hashing it out on the Digest would be the dialectic
>equivalent of a months-long root canal. This would have the two
>ends of the Sobjectivist spectrum _really_ at each others throats, as
>it seems to be what they most disagree about. Witness the fact that
>it's what they very frequently end up arguing over, while the notional
>topic is something entirely different. I comfort myself with the
>thought that being resigned to the dim past being ultimately unknowable,
>while somewhat unsatisfying in some respects, at least spares me the
>brunt of the pain of _that_.

<Shudder>. What a horrifying image! God(s) forbid. Oh no, my desire is for such a history penned by GS himself. That doesn't mean that I expect such a thing to ever exist. I too will comfort myself with imaging the horror
of people arguing about which events are "objective". ( Now I may not be able to get to sleep tonight. The horror, the horror...)

Have a nice day and a great weekend,

Oliver D. Bernuetz
bernuetz.oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca