Re: Gloranthan Magic and objectivity

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_danet.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 97 20:22:51 EDT

> From: "Daniel McCluskey (Volt)" <a-daniem_at_microsoft.com>
> In Glorantha, Magic is real, and objectively observable, but that
> doesn't nescessarily mean that everyone Believes in it...
>
> How then
> can we assume that just because Magic EXISTS in Glorantha, everyone
> believes in it? (especially in someone elses magic)

Magic, like technology, is undeniable. Many spells can be seen as they act, let alone cause obvious effects. The source and the effects on the user are disputed, though

They believe that the other side has magic, but that it comes from unHoly sources. Thus, Sartar Orlanthi think that ALL Lunar magic must be horribly Chaotic, even a simple Disruption cast by a Pelorian farmboy who never say a Chaotic priest before joining up. Yelmics believe that ALL Orlanthi magic is subversive of the Divine Order, part of a Secret Scheme by Arkat/Gbaji (who everyone knows lead an Orlanthi army -- forget about that horde of Dijijelm (sp?) who attacked Doraster, they didn't fight US!) to kill the Sun again, and bring back Sheng Seleris and the nomads. All good Theists believe that ANY sorcery will destroy your soul. Malkioni say that any Pagan magic (ie, Spirit or Divine) will trap your soul in this world after death, denying one the Hope of Solace (forget that Saint's Blessings look remarkably like Divine Magic, that's just a coincidence).

Etc, for everyone else.

As a RW analogy, it used to be assumed that everything the Russians developed was stolen from the West, even the things that they did first. When they were defeated in Afghanistan, that was a sign that they were evil (and forget that the US was defeated in Vietnam, earlier, and that *no one* seems to have been able to hold the Afghans since Alexander's time). Just the same, no one doubted that their nuclear weapons would work, or their rockets, and no one doubted that their army would be dangerous if it attacked NATO.

Orlanthi "no one" here, and refering to the USA, of course.

> Remember -- My magic is the gift of a True and Powerful God.
> Your "magic" is just bad luck on my part.
Or, Your "magic" is the curse of a False and Deceiving Demon/False God/ Sorcerer acting the part/fraud behind the curtain/etc.