Re: doubles seeing; willful pipes; Ento-mology

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 00:08:02 -0700

If the Ralian Humathi and the Sartarite Humakti quested together and met the great god of Death, both would see their own god. If somehow differences came out, the Sartarite would surely think, "Wow! I've quested to before Humakt severed his kinship" or the Ralian would think, "Damn! I've quested to just after Arkat struck his traitorous blow at his lord."

Alex Ferguson

> Pipe-playing and haggis-eating are two areas in which
> I'm unreconditely unpatriotic (in both Scotland and Sartar, to
> paraphrase Sam P).

Does this mean Sartar doesn't have bagpipes? Surely it must (my RQ2 piper certainly had fun annoying giants by playing dwarvish songs like "Hall of the Mountain King"). Or just that you don't play 'em?

> I assume that when Mike talks about a "quantifiable"
> Free Will, he has in mind a single, numeric value. This, I think, is
> what Chaosium "gave up on". The general concept has to be quantified in
> _some_ form, I'd agree

One way to give up Free Will would be (in Pendragon mechanics) to have a bunch of personality traits at 20. You'd be forced to roll at any relevant opportunity, and always succeed.

Jane Williams

> Sorry, but I did attempt to read GRoY and FS, after reading KoS. They're
> far less readable, and from the DragonPass/Sartar POV, almost totally
> irrelevant. Can't comment on Ento-wotsit, as Wizard's Attic haven't
> delivered it yet, but I don't hold out much hope. I think to get
> anything like a scenario out of any of them, you need to be a very very
> good GM and have a lot of free time. Faster to invent your own.

I've run a scenario from Entekosiad (at the last Glorantha-Con), and have fairly extensive notes on a board game derived from it.

Fortunate Succession was valuable background material for the Post-Dragonkill campaign I ran with Pam Carlson; it will also provide useful information for "Diet of Wyrms," the mini-LARP I plan to run at the next Glorantha-Con.

That said, I concur that they're largely irrelevant for Sartar, and not of great gaming utility except as deep background (which, on the other hand, is all they're billed as).

> Where in Glorantha do they have potatoes?

Good question; I recall Cults of Prax mentioning the potatoe bread served by the Seven Mothers cult.