immoral beliefs

From: Maria & Michael <michael.raaterova.7033_at_student.uu.se>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 20:15:54 +0000

I don't want to enter the sobjective conflict (i've had it with such in the past) but the following quote from Oliver D. Bernuetz is an utter falsehood:

>Belief is moral and value neutral (I mean it's neither good or bad nor
>right or >wrong).

And _to whom_ is a belief moral and value neutral, neither good or bad nor right or wrong, if i may ask?

Imagine the Sartarites fighting the Lunars suddenly stopping, saying:

"Gee, we just realized that this war is illogical; if our belief that it is utterly just and fair to kick your lunar ass is neither right nor wrong, and your belief that the reverse is true is neither right nor wrong, then why are we still fighting? Ah yes, i forgot, our beliefs has nothing to do with our moral obligation to shove your chaotic features down your throats. OK, so we _have to_ fight you, but we really don't think it's either right nor wrong to do so."

Every belief is created by, coloured by, associated with and dependent on morals and values. For a belief to exist there has to be somebody there to believe or deny it. My guess is that this person will find this belief either good and right or bad and wrong, dependent on her morals and values.

Follwing the logic of your quote, you yourself can be neither right nor wrong in your belief that belief is moral and value neutral. Hopefully you believe that what you said was good and right, because otherwise i'm dumbfounded as to why you'd say it, but that makes your claim null and void.

Belief, being a subjective thang, can never be neutral to likewise subjective morals and values.