Troll gestation, GtG and RantFumeHate

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 17:35:00 -0400 (EDT)

James Frusetta on trolls and trollkin:

<< Is the length of gestation also different? Trollpak gives stats for 'Kin,
 but not 'Ko. I'd always rather thought part of the problem was that  trollkin are always born premature. >>

  Does so give stats! 45 weeks for Uzko (Uz Lore p30). As you say, less for trollkin.

Michael Cule:
<<In the Mundane World you can decide that (for instance) preserving your
Honour passion isn't worth getting chopped into small pieces or preserving your Hate Saxons passion isn't worth earning the High king's enmity. In the Other World you are driven by your passion.>>

Well, maybe so, and it might work well in a piece of fiction, but as a game mechanic? Urgh! I've played in a Pendragon campaign where the traits determined what you did and in one where it was the other way around (I'm simplifying here I admit), and I hated the former and loved the latter. I just don't like the GM telling me what I can and cannot do with my character. It leaves me wondering why I even bothered turning up to the session. The GM might as well have just rolled the dice for my character himself, and saved me the effort of making an appearance. It certainly isn't what I call 'role-playing'. If that's HQing, I can do without it (as a PC - I'd have no problem with NPCs or with fiction based on this premise). I hates it, I tell you! Aaargh! Rant! Gnash!!!

     Your MGF may vary. ;-)

Dave Bailey:
<<How similar to RQ4 is GtG going to be?>>

     Judging from Greg's comments at the last Convulsion, pretty different. That was a year ago, so his ideas may well have changed a lot since; in fact, I'd be pretty surprised if they haven't. But, FWIW, the system he outlined then resembled Pendragon more than RQ. While it was a BRP system, character generation seemed to be on some kind of points allocation system (sounded more like Storyteller than GURPS, for those who know the distinction), and Pendragon-style personality traits were an important feature. He had a neat idea that different cultures would get different traits (rather than just emphasising certain ones as in Pendragon), so a troll doesn't even have a Chastity/Lust score, because it just isn't relevant in their culture, but a Sun Domer certainly would. Magic seemed to be pretty much the same, though - this brought a complaint from the audience that Sorcery damn well _ought_ to be changed!

     Since, IIRC, Avalon Hill now own the rights to the RQ rules as well as the name, I think we can expect GtG to be pretty different from RQ, although not necesserily any more so than Call of Cthulhu is.

Dave Pearton on kayaking:
<<You simply need to be relatively in-shape and not have a pathological fear
of water.>>

     Well, that's me out on both counts, then.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky