Can't pay, won't play?

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 03:38:12 +0100 (BST)

Pam Carlson is Righteously Annoyed at those that say:
> "I'm not gonna pay for any of the new material on Peloria, (or King of
> Sartar), but nothing is coming out in the gamestores."

I can certainly agree with this Scathing Attack in the case of KoS refuseniks. It's positively chok-a-blok with information about past and future DP, is a dashed good read, and is positively cheap. Cermonially burn the Making Gods section if it upsets you, but I don't see how anyone can pass up all the material on Orlanthi mythology and (perhaps even more so) customs.

> GRoY, FS, And Entekosiad will each cost US$25, [...]
> but all full of great scenario ideas [...]

I can see both sides of this question, myself. (Not Illumination, just Indecisiveness with a dash of ethnicly-stereotyped Meanness on the side.) I personally liked all of the above, particularly the Entekosiad, but whether they represent "value for money" or not depends on what your expectations are. If what people want is something they can game "out of the box", then I wouldn't rate any of them very highly in the "value for money" stakes. For people who've been gasping for information about Peloria, though, they're surely water in the proverbial desert. On the third hand, if you're not a Pelaphile, and only a moderate Greg completist, you can console yourself with the thought that the Definitive version of the same material ought to make into a more mass-market publication (eventually), bereft of Errors, Revisions, dodgy FGS artwork, and at a more favourable page/punt ratio (I'd imagine say 25:1, rather than something more like 8:1). On the fourth hand, that there millenium is hurtling nearer fast...

In vacilation,
Alex.