Obscure stuff in spiral binders.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 04:45:05 +0100 (BST)

Jane Williams notes that:
> There seem to be a lot of people commenting on Harmast's Saga these days.

I was the one to bring it up, but I should reiterate that I have only second-hand knowledge of its contents. I presume everyone commenting more definitively on it is part of the Greg's Wastepaper Basket Ring. I think I _saw_ a copy a con or two ago, but as my X-Ray vision and hyperspeedreading powers had been neutralised by alcohol, didn't get a chance to ingest the contents. From other comments I've heard, what's written is funky, but then it just stops dead, where it awaits Greg's creative juices to flow again. So I don't knw that it's at all likely to be even semi-published any time soon. (This info is both unreliable and non-recent, however.)

> Just as an example, you
> can't understand why Harrek left Hendrikiland and hit Boldhome instead
> unless you know who Jarang is. And he's only mentioned in RQ2 material.

OK, I'll bite: who's Jarang? What's the RQ2 material concerned?

> And to make matters worse, [GRoY and FS]'re about Solar cultures. Solar
> cultures are male-dominated and bureaucracy-ridden and bound by
> convention and prudery.

I confess I have something of a sympathy-gap in this respect too. What I found quite striking is how different the Entekosiad is in that respect, though; comparing the flavours of "Lunar propaganda" on offer in E., and in tFS, one can appreciate what the White Moonies are so hopping (but non-violently!) mad about -- or at least, what they _should_ be mad about.

Unreconstructedly,
Alex.