German Sources, Bullies, etc.

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 04:28:44 -0400

Alex writes:

> I reckon much of the info in cult writeups is a Statistically Sound
> Survey, based on those of our cultural anthropologists who came back
> uneaten...

(Ho ho ho).

Joe Smith, you're a gent.
___                        ______

Jim "not paying attention" Chapin writes:

> However, the pure "subjectivist" position is off-putting, seeming to
> verge on solipsism. =

Few self-declared "subjectivists" hold this position; "subjectivism" seem= s
to mean that Gloranthans understand the Gods, Reality, Myth, etc. in the ways that we've seen them doing, and not in the way our external theories=

say that they ought to. I suggest we redefine the solipsistic view (that each Gloranthan creates his own personal and valid mythic reality) as the=

"solipsist" position, to avoid future confusion.

Telmori Thomas writes:

> What are bloodbeans, lagniappe, squaa and sweet grass?

The original edition of GoG included a footnote under the Grain Goddesses= ,
reading "Plants marked by an asterisk are peculiar to Glorantha." I can't=

check if this made it through to the German translation, as I only have G= oG
in English and French.

> Is there any good explanation why Hsunchen are mammals?

They aren't. From published sources, we know of Spider Hsunchen (in the jungles), Eagle and Dragon Hsunchen (in Kralorela), Turtle Hsunchen (in Fethlon, also detailed in the Hykimi cult writeup)... so you can have whatever Hsunchen you want! And your NPC Eagle Hsunchen is just fine in Glorantha: there's a box in the (English) Genertela Book on p.25 headed "The Hsunchen of Kralorela", which lists Turtle, Bat, Deer, Yak, Eagle ("who live among the mountain tops") and Tiger Hsunchen as native kinds.

Oliver has noticed that I'm saying "history decides who's right and wrong= ",
but didn't respond to my quibble on Lokamayadon (who would have been Righ= t
if he'd won). Never mind: I don't want to inflame this old sore again.

Marcos is puzzling over Storm Bull psychology.

> I mean... In Prax, there is this big Krjalki bog. And the storm bulls
> know of its existence. Can they sleep at night knowing this huge chaos
> place is still sitting there, giving shelter to who-knows-how-many
> chaos creatures?

Evidently, as the cult still survives.

The Storm Bull cult write-up can now be read as saying that Bullies seek out Chaos incursions, Chaos invasions, Chaos in places where Chaos was no= t
previously known to be: that the cult exists to prevent the rise of Chaos= ,
not to suidically exterminate all known Chaos Nests of whatever power.

Initiates are "required to investigate any hints or rumours of enemy presence personally", not to charge headlong into battle against known enemy strongholds. (I doubt there are many "hints or rumours" that Chaos exists in known Chaos Nests: it'd be accepted fact). The cult's special skill of Sense Chaos is obviously most useful where Chaos is not normally=

found. And the Praxian Sense of Space (cf. Greg's article in Tales #14) shows that "Distance from Chaos" is the defining factor of Praxians' geography. So maybe lowly Bullies ensure that no Chaos gets into Eiritha'= s
Own (most distant from Chaos), while their tougher and more fanatical brothers-in-arms are scouring Broos for Sure country.

> Maybe I am seeing Uroxi more like crusaders against chaos, rather than
> like the anti social "Skinheads" they are.

Storm Bullies are dangerous lunatics. You can't *safely* "trick" them int= o
doing something you want, or make use of them in formulating your own cunning plans. "Normal people consider all Storm Bull berserkers to be mindless brutes, barely human, certainly deranged, and absolutely dangerous. These opinions are correct."

BTW, I only just realised how much colour was butchered from the RQ3 RoC version of the Storm Bull cult writeup. All the phrases, all the characte= r:
gone, gone with the desert wind...

::::
Nick
::::