Moral neutrality and belief

From: Klyfix_at_aol.com
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 06:58:30 -0400 (EDT)

Michael Raaterova noted....

> Imagine the Sartarites fighting the Lunars suddenly stopping, saying:
>
> "Gee, we just realized that this war is illogical; if our belief that it
is
> utterly just and fair to kick your lunar ass is neither right nor wrong,
> and your belief that the reverse is true is neither right nor wrong, then
> why are we still fighting? Ah yes, i forgot, our beliefs has nothing to do
> with our moral obligation to shove your chaotic features down your
throats.
> OK, so we _have to_ fight you, but we really don't think it's either right
> nor wrong to do so."

       That's almost exactly what Paulis Longvale tells the newly Illuminated Oddi in CoT (pg. 87) as they prepared to battle Ralzakark. Right and wrong are a matter of perspective. Perhaps it is more accurate to say that belief and the morals derived from it are largely subjective. In Glorantha almost nobody but Illuminates and maybe God Learners would believe that, I suspect.

V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham....