Re: OOP stuff, more food and traditions

From: Jane Williams <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 18:18:00 +0000

> From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
> I can certainly agree with this Scathing Attack in the case of KoS
> refuseniks.

Do you know someone who still sells it, then? As far as I'm aware it's OOP. (Otherwise I'd buy a second copy, as my first one is worn out and falling apart).

> Personally,
> I hesitate to drag too many things with such shamelessly Scottish
> connotations into Sartar, as a lot of them are rather wildly anachronistic
> for any plausible Orlanthi-Celt analogue.
Also, Sartar is not a direct Celt/Scot analogue, any more than it is a direct Viking analogue. My own preference is to have variations between different tribes and even clans: so some have bagpipes, some have male voice choirs, and a few have horns on their helmets and no musical tradition at all...

> Brother Dog's prediliction for tartan would be a case in point
Tartan? TARTAN???? You are joking, aren't you? Although to be fair, plaids dyed in check patterns have been around for a fair old while: the ones that require modern or expensive dyes are suspect, but using a simplified version as a recognition system could have come in earlier in Sartar than it did in Scotland. Let's see: the original colours came from the lichens that grew on the mountains. Nice stuff, lichen dye, and self-mordanting, which is helpful. Perhaps, Sartar being a bit more magical than Scotland, different areas have seriously different dye plants available? So they dye their plaids in area-dependant colours? And of course the colour of the sheep they breed would be important, too. Cream and brown are standard RW colours, with pure white and (almost) pure black being rare but possible. Some Sartarite clan could always have blue sheep, for instance. You know, we could make something of this. It just wouldn't be much like "tartans", unless you want to invent mechanical spinning and weaving while you're at it.

>(especially if you don't think Italian tomatoes count as "traditional"). Something that's only been around for four centuries at most is hardly traditional. Come to think of it, if like me you see Sartarites as Ancient Brits resisting Romans, they shouldn't have bagpipes yet. It was the Romans who introduced them, after all. But it's a Wind instrument that makes a lot of noise, so why not?

> > And to make matters worse, [GRoY and FS]'re about Solar cultures. Solar
> > cultures are male-dominated and bureaucracy-ridden and bound by
> > convention and prudery.
> I confess I have something of a sympathy-gap in this respect too.
> What I found quite striking is how different the Entekosiad is in
> that respect, though;

Other people have mentioned this: I've sent off for it, but had nothing back as yet. Still, postage from the USA is bound to be slow.

V.S. Greene asks:
> By the way, at the risk of my being horrified, what _is_ black
> pudding? Sounds scary; the most frightening thing I've eaten myself is
> porcupine. :)

I must admit I don't know the recipe, but black pudding is basically a sausage coloured black with pigs blood. You slice it and then fry/grill the slices. Can be a bit dry if overcooked (most hotels get this wrong). What's porcupine like? And why is it frightening to eat? To cacth, I can understand, but if it's already dead, what's the problem?

Jane Williams                     jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/index.shtml