The one Gloranthan book to buy

From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 10:24:04 -0700

Our man on the Miskatonic, Mr. V. S. Greene responded to my suggestion that folk should probably buy KoS, tFS, and GRoY:

> Well, the problem is spending $25 a pop on books of questionable
gaming
>utility and reading interest. For me, $25 is a healthy sum of cash, alas.
If
>they were under $10, and I was playing RQ more regularly I might consider
>them. But at this time it makes more sense to use my old material, look
over
>friends stuff, assimilate stuff from the Digest, and check out the rather
>large number of RQ/Glorantha related Web sites.

Hey I agree with you - this stuff is pretty darn expensive. Of course, I went to my local gameshop (horrible experience, I mean, the place is full of gamers!) and was shocked how expensive supplements are for old Call of Cthulhu.

However, I have a solution to your woes: ENCLOSURE. Rather than buy four books and decipher Greg's Pelorian works, just buy one book crammed with material gleaned from Greg's stuff. Included in Enclosure will be: "Orlanthi-Pack": ready to run material for Dragon Pass before Sartar. Cult write-ups, new subcults, descriptions of tribes and clans, the works. Did I mention that the thing includes the rules for PenDragon Pass, cultural heroquesting material, stories, and I think a scenario or two. "Alkoth-Pack": ready to run material for the southern citadel of Dara Happa. Cult write-up of Shargash the Destroyer, loads of ready to run material, and the most cost-effective solution to peoples tFS and GRoY problems.

One book, one payment, loads of information! Can you beat that?

> Heck, do you expect us to go out and buy every fraggin' thing Greg
>elects to publish at whatever price even if we have reason to believe
(from
>reading KoS) that it won't be all that great a read? That's rather on the
>absurd side, isn't it? We ain't cultists.

Absolutely. My point is that if you are going to debate the "nature of Glorantha" or what-ever-the-hell this silly "-ist" drivel refers to, you should probably have at least one of the Pelorian sources (I would recommend tFS, personally). Otherwise, the debate seems even more pointless than it probably inherently is.

Daniel McCluskey asks:
> WHY do Kyger Litor shrines teach Darksee???? I can't imagine a
> more useless spell for Trolls.

I fully agree with Dan. Darksee is a stupid spell for Trolls.

Jeff