A Sartar campaign

From: Pete Newallis <reaper_at_echo.sound.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 15:06:08 -0500 (CDT)

  There are three posts with the same header and I'm uncertain in what order they will hit the list. The stuff is from a game a friend of mine ran a few years ago. Sadly he had moved away at the time and I couldn't play in it. I've got several reasons I'm posting it to the list.
  1. There are a lot of people on the list, all of us with varying interests. When you find a lot of stuff on the list that you have no interest in. It does little to bitch about it. Better to post something in the vein you want and generate "talk" about things you like.
  2. There has been some debate lately on the usefulness of recent works. KOS, GRAY, FS, and Entekosiad. I just wanted to point out that this campaign was developed with most of the RQ II stuff, info from the list, the Genertela book and Gods of Glorantha. It happened before the Web developed. I know he would have loved the Sartar tribe map from the out of print Tales 7. He did email some of the people on the list with self-developed Sartar stuff, or better access to Greg.

 I pointing all this out to show what you can do with limited resouces. This GM has since set his RQ stuff aside and plays mostly Star Wars, his SW stuff is even higher
quality (practice helps) and he could get published if LF didn't make it hard. I don't
have the recent works (yet) and won't comment on their usefulness (which often is a personal decision), but a GM no matter how time-starved has to face the effort fitting published stuff to his/her vision and filling the gaps with his/her creative talents.

3) Looking over some of the campaign events. People can pick out scenarios from Pavis,
stuff drawn from fiction, one NPC reincarnated from previous campaigns (back to D&D
20 years ago), Viking pack and stuff I'm not sure where he got it( or if he created it).
I remember one of the first inspirational points in Glorantha for me was (I think it was pre-RQ or close) an adventure write-up of a run in the sewers of Furtherest, and the
WB&RM game. I remember playing RQ with just the RQII rulebook and WB^RM, did our gaming
look like the campaign outlined here?, no. Was it fun?, yes. Was it Gregable?, it wasn't
a concept at the time.

4) Not stepping into the Sub/Ob debate! But each of us has our personal Glorantha. One in which Sartar is Celt or Scottish or land-locked Vikings. Where Elmal is or isn't. Nobody has equal access to info, enjoys exactly the same thing, or equal talents in Gming or creating game material. At some point we all go heretical with Greg, he hasn't provided what we need or works on something we don't care about. So we draw the
line. This is my world, and if latter stuff conflicts so be it.

5) In the above vein, dispite this being the Glorantha list, RQ is part of Gloranthan history. And you can learn about Glorantha as much from our game material as offical
published stuff, it should be welcome here.

6) The Sartar stuff listed in "A Sartar campaign" is not my creation. I'm not sure if
my friend would be happy with it on the list but I'm sure the friendship will live. It
represents actual adventures ran.

  Pete