Re: Glorantha Digest V4 #532

From: Scott Haney <scotty_at_olivia.cedar-rapids.ia.us>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 97 20:34:23 CDT

Duck and cover. Von Moosehsunchen has delurked again. (The Little Moose has finally gone to bed....)

& From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
& Subject: Non-Scottishisms.
&
& Don't play 'em, and don't eat haggis, was my point. And if Sam Philip's
& evidence is to be trusted, Sartarite haggis is just as bad.

My grandfather is Scottish and my grandmother Norwegian. The thought of ``lutefisk haggis'' was too much for me, so I became a vegetarian.

& Personally,
& I hesitate to drag too many things with such shamelessly Scottish
& connotations into Sartar, as a lot of them are rather wildly anachronistic
& for any plausible Orlanthi-Celt analogue.

Same here. Sartar loses its flavor that way. It's not supposed to taste like haggis.

& > what does "Slainte" mean?
&
& It means "good health", "cheers", etc, esp. when accompanied by a
& quaff upon a repeatedly partially fractionated beverage.

Darn tootin! I'll lift a Laphroigh for my fellow Digesters tonight! (Fully confident that probably only Alex will know if I spelled that correctly.)

& Thomas Gottschall suspects phyllocentrism:
& > I've notices that Glorantha has a large variety of Hsunchen (with
& > Telmori clearly the best!) but why are they all mamals?
&
& Aren't there Turtle, and Shark People someplace or other? (I don't

The Sofali (turtle) hsunchen inhabit the isles near Trowjang and Teshnos. Don't recall where else they might be.

& From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
& Subject: harrek and nonmammalian hsunchen
&

(actually says more about the subject and better. I'm so hopelessly behind on digests...damn summer schedules.)

Baron von M.

Scott Haney scotty_at_olivia.cedar-rapids.ia.us "There is no statute of limitations on stupidity." - -- Randomly produced by a computer program called Markov3.