The will of the people: Questions

From: James Wadsley <wadsley_at_cita.utoronto.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 00:25:43 -0400

There seems to be some level of consensus that HeroQuests require large scale backing to be successful, counted in numbers of keen worshippers along for the spiritual ride. Do people agree on this? Being something of a Michel Moorcock, 'kill the gods' (eg. Elric or Corum) fan, I like the idea that individuals can act without the support of huge cults. You could argue that a figure like Elric, being a figure of legend in his own time, has the tacit or subconscious support of much of his world. To phrase it another way - is renown or 'legendary status' a good substitute for followers or fellow initiates?

I would also argue against a one-to-one mechanic for calculating the support you get per worshipper because big empires always win that way which is boring. Can anyone comment? For example, a lot of bored Dara Happans secure within the support of the empire might provide a lot less HQ boosting that a bunch of desperate Sartarites? So - readers of the recent runes (new GS books)- consult your sources and illuminate me!

James Wadsley.