Scary food...

From: Klyfix_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 03:03:22 -0400 (EDT)

Jane Williams asked...
> What's porcupine like? And why is it frightening to eat? To cacth, I can

> understand, but if it's already dead, what's the problem?

      It was quite a long time ago, but as I recall porcupine wasn't that far from beef in taste; you wouldn't mix the two up, but it certainly isn't in the "tastes like chicken" camp. Actually, porcupines are supposed to be about the _easiest_ thing to kill. They're slow, so a person with a big stick can kill them pretty regularly. Of course back in the Black Hills of South Dakota they tend to get killed by cars as they waddle accross the road. The quills get used in artworks by Indians and other craftfolk; assuming that there's porcupines in Glorantha they'd be used for that there.

       Skunks are far more fearsome because of their distance weapon; you can avoid porcupine quills by keeping your distance but that doesn't necessarily work if you happen to scare the skunk.

       To put a Gloranthan relevance to this, a merry band of adventures is likely to end up running out of food on a long trip. How often is that dealt with? Player characters aren't necessarily skilled hunters. A porcupine is a pretty easy kill for heavily armed PC types...unless its one of those chaos porkies. Skunks, even in Glorantha, will stand their ground and spray rather than run many times. Kind of hard to hide from trolls if you've just been sprayed by a skunk. :)

V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham...