Sun Dragon, Plants and Sorcery

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 00:22:47 +1200

V S Greene:

> What was the Sun Dragon cult like? Would it be sort of Path of
>Immenent Mastery-ish, or would it be an abstract sort of mysticism? What
>benefits would worshippers gain, if any?

Stephen mentions it was supposed to confer Telekinesis and the Fortunate Sucession backs this up with mentioning that the Dragon Sun:

        '...was able to pass all the tests, even though it
        had no hands to shape the clay, genitals to shape the
        child, and no soul to fill the empty room.  It recieved
        the regalia as if it had hands, and it wore divine clothing
        which was intended for a creature only one percent of its
        size.'

I think however the cult is a lot more complex than being the telekinesis subcult of Yelm. For starters, it would be the cult of the 'Sun as Dragon' (to steal from Elder Secrets). IMO the magic of the draconic cults of the EWF was accomplished by using 'Auld Wyrmish' as the method by which one did draconic magic. This was the EWF equivalent of Kralori mysticism or the False Dragon Ring's Charismatic Wisdom. At a skill of 25% or less, one is limited to minor cantrips that are markedly inferior to the standard human magics. Since these cantrips are so useless and even scout dragonewts take the trouble of learning human magic, their existance has been almost forgotten. Between 25% and 50%, the speaker becomes capable of using Dragonewt Magic (albeit 'one-use'). Beyond that the speaker's mastery of Auld Wyrmish continues to improve.

This wouldn't be the way the Dragonewts progressed in Dragon magics as their ability to speak was innate and unconscious. Their mastery of their magic is limited by spiritual and mental factors which are not normally present in the human condition.

The basic magics of the EWF would have been the standard magics of turning into a dragon. The various cults existed to provide further draconic understandings. As mentioned, the Sun Dragon Cult teaches Telekinesis (probably on the basis that this is what keeps the Sun afloat) and a few others (like turning the Dragon bright and fiery). Adepts in this cult would have a draconic form that resembled a Griffin.

>And of course, is the idea of a Sun Dragon Revival absurd?

It depends. The cult is still prevelant among the Wyrms who can speak Auld Wyrmish. The trouble is how the humans can do so since that the Inhuman King has somehow removed all memory and understanding of Auld Wyrmish. Estangang Griffin Rider was probably a member of the Pavis Sun Dome Temple (the ruins of the one on Temple Hill) and would have been active before 1043 ST IMO. However KoS does speak of strange and exotic magics such as 'restalize the zur' (p6) and 'turn to that inner dragon, and cut it out with the broken sword, if need be, and arm each other for the return' (p271). So it is possible that Argrath has found a way to sidestep the curse of the Inhuman King.

Thomas Gottschall:

>My second question hasn't been aswered so far : I would
>like to know how the plants in GoG look, taste, smell, etc. like.

The bloodbean would resemble the kidney bean although it would be broadbean in size. Lagniappe (an actual word BTW meaning a small gift) I think would be something like a cross between a sweet potato and a beetroot and the Doraddi eat it for desert. The Sweetgrass of Zamokil would probably be an cross between the sweetcorn and sugarcane, and the Blues prize it for the shoots. The Squaa of Tarien is probably an edible form of clover that the locals love to eat as fresh as possible.

All IMO and probably subject to Gregging or Sandying.

Robert McArthur:

>For the rituals described in RQ3 sorcery (ceremony, summon and enchant),
>do they take up 'free int' to learn? Do any rituals (hero or otherwise)
>count against INT in 'storing'?

The skills do not cost INT to remember but a memorized spell is needed for a particular ritual (ie there are spells for summon ghost, create magic point matrix etc) and that costs free INT.

>if I [successfully create a power spirit binding enchantment]. I then
>would have to find one (or summon it) and then dominate it into the
>object. Correct?

Yes.

>It seems odd that adepts have to learn all seven Arts before
>'graduating'.

I imagine most sorcerers flunk this stage and surivive as mere journeymen (with a basic minimum of Arts) and thus end up with more money than brains.

>Do sorcerers keep the [create familiar] ritual 'in mind' after
>creating their familiar? Can sorcerers not have a spell 'in
>mind' (to save INT and thus Presence) and yet know it and put
>it in mind when they need it (maybe 1pt/hr or day) - I seem to
>remember spirit magicians can do this, or at least could in RQ2.

When a sorcerer drops a spell from mind, he still retains his skill with the spell. Thus when he dusts of a few ancient grimoires to remember a spell he learned back in thaumaturgy 101 and promptly forgot the day after the exam, he casts the spell at his old skill. Some people may see fit to introduce some penalty for rustiness but such should be temporary IMO. Consequently sorcerers do not keep clutter their heads with trivial spells they cast once in a blue moon.