Ritually free INT.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 16:42:15 +0100 (BST)

Robert McArthur:
> For the rituals described in RQ3 sorcery (ceremony, summon and enchant),
> do they take up 'free int' to learn? Do any rituals (hero or otherwise)
> count against INT in 'storing'?

A ritual _spell_ (such as say, Stablise Heat) takes up the regulation one point of Free INT, IIRC, but not just (say) having some %age skill in Enchant (or whichever). I think much the same is true of "HeroPlane entering rituals", which would be some sort of ritual ceremony. It'd make more sense for such things to be divine magic in most cases, but precedence seems to treat them as spirit magic.

> Same question for Sandy's sorcery rules...

Same answer, so far as I know.

> It seems odd that adepts have to learn all seven Arts before 'graduating'.

I think I broadly agree -- I think this is someone one could easily have vary from "school" to "school", without bruising the basic concept.

> Do sorcerers keep the ritual 'in mind' after creating their familiar?

You mean, the ritual to create the familiar? I'd imagine not, unless they were _very_ eager to get an upgrade. (Irrelevant remark born of having just seen the Santa's Little Helper/Laddie episode of the Simpsons.)

> Can sorcerers not have a spell 'in mind' [...] and yet know it and put
> it in mind when they need it (maybe 1pt/hr or day)

I believe this died with RQ2. In RQ3, to do the same trick you have to relearn it "from scratch", which is altogether easier in most cases for a sorceror than for a spirit magician.

I hope the above isn't so danerously off the cuff as to be entirely unhelpful.

Alex.