Freedom!

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 14:08:13 +0100

We were talking about Will:

>> Hmm, a mechanical note to myself: you can burn temporary Will to get another
>> chance at a trait roll in the God Plane.
>
>Did someone say Hero Points? ;-) But what's "temporary Will", exactly?

The idea was that you needed to make a test against Will to do certain things on the God/Hero Plane. To enter and leave it, to pass into the deeper parts of it, to invoke the power of the Runes you are tied to.

You can temporarily reduce your Will (and thus your Will roll) to gain other advantages. Drawing an extra card from the Fate and Luck Deck (my Gloranthan version of the EVERWAY Fortune Deck) for instance. You would regain full Will when you left the God-Plane.

PERMANENT Will loss would only occur when you were leaving the God-Plane and had to sacrifice Will in order to make the changes you had made on the God-Plane permanent.

Hmmm, another way to do this. (Someone may have proposed this earlier. And please note that I'm just playing with alternative mechanics here. Let's run it up the Block and see if anyone thinks its a Griffin....)

You might express the sacrifice that Heroes and HeroQuesters make in terms of directed traits and 'frozen' traits and passions. Directed traits would be like some geases ("Never trust trolls", "Never participate in an ambush") and would be a minor cost. Frozen traits would mean that a character would have 20/0 in that trait pair and be unable to express the other trait at all. The 20 trait could increase by the usual means.

You may think this is giving the character an advantage. But there are times when you want to be able to be Cowardly as opposed to Valourous. And there are definite disadvantages to having a Chaste of 20......

By the way, has anyone proposed a set of revised personality traits for Glorantha? Some of what we have in Pendragon isn't quite right.....