Storm Bulls and Uz

From: Bernuetz, Oliver: WPG <Bernuetz.Oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 14:15:30 -0400

I was re-reading some of the material in the Trollpak yesterday and noticed that the word Uz is properly the term for the race itself. It may very well be associated with the female of the species as they're the dominant sex but then again it may not. Although there doesn't seem to be any evidence to the contrary there may be separate female and male terms in Darktongue. Haven't seen any evidence that Darktongue has any gender rules when it comes to language, though that may just have been overlooked when Trollpak was written.

I once ran a scenario where a temple of Storm Bulls was talked into attacking a compound held by some ogres. The SB's were meant to be cannon fodder for the PC's and they were pretty pissed off when they discovered that they were rescuing a dog.

As far as Humakti or Storm Bulls or Zorak Zorani's rushing off to wipe out major Chaos/Undead nests I'd agree with whoever it was (sorry) who suggested that the cult as a whole would be waiting to build up their resources before trying to take out one of the major nests. The problem being that it's hard to build up your cult resources when fanatical individuals keep running off to clean up those spots.

I've always played Storm Bulls as hard living, hard drinking assholes who'd as soon as kill you as look at you. (You can always claim he/she/it sensed as Chaotic if someone complains). Obviously they have to be kept on a short leash as they make terrible neighbours but when Chaos comes a calling they're mighty nice to have around. The obvious model are Norse berserkers who had many of the same qualities. (Did they have any different ones? Eating a lot of fish, riding in ships and NOT wearing helmets with horns I guess).

Oliver D. Bernuetz
bernuetz.oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca