various

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 10:58:00 -0700

 Paul Chapman:

>Pam Carlson cheekily suggested that the English Toasted Cheese Sandwich is in
fact Fried Bread. Well, Pam, by now I'm sure you know that's wrong. How did you come by this delusion may I ask?

>From a culinary conversation with Martin Laurie, who personally admits
to having a cooking skill of 02%. In fact, his favorite culinary endeavor appears to be opening a can of "mushey peas", a edible horror that he has fondly described several times. This lead to the frying bread discussion, with the bit about the absence of cheese on the fried bread....

>I also don't think that the trollish matriarchy is equivalent to a reversed
RW patriarchy in the way a lot of people seem to think... sorry, gals. This is not a TSR-style masturbation fantasy of cute women with loads of Male characteristics and feeble men, instead it is a matriarchy whereby the
males still have the male characteristics, but the women are strong and the
_female_ characteristics are valued strongly in society.

Paul, if you'd read carefully, you'd realize that Dan and James are the largest proponents of the dominating female troll schtick. I don't care about trolls at all, really. When I do run them, I play them more like killer whales or heyenas - without human sexual characteristics of any kind. But IF one wants to have dimorphic words describing trollkind, (the topic was brought up by a male, if you recall), I think the default would be the female.

 (And I think the default gender words for a lot of earthly animals would be female, too, if they hadn't been named by a bunch of naturalists trained in earlier times. Even such as objective field as science was still heavily influenced by male-oriented concepts. If you don't think so, consider that it wasn't until 1971 that woman were no longer barred from certain university science courses in the US.)

> I really don't think that Troll society is like a reversed Victorian
England, I really
don't.

I've never heard anyone describe it to that extent, and certainly never thought of it that way. Have I missed something?

Mike:

>On the second, the reason i want some objectivity in the world is I guess
due to the canonical campaign that is played in Glorantha. Which I see as
a bunch of adventurers from many different backgrounds in the city of Pavis.
Here we straight away run into at least 5 common different worldviews:

>1) Traditional Sartarite Orlanthi

2) Praxian Nomad
3) Lunar Empire
4) Yelmalian
5) Pavisite city dwellers

>This doesn't count the troll, elves and chaos groups in the city who all have
different world views.

That does get to be a big problem. We found it almost untenable, especially with the Lunar-Orlanthi tension of the 1600's. That's why we started the Post-Dragon Kill campaign. We could play a band of highly varied Gloranthans with different worldviews who had to learn to get along. It was great fun.

We still ignored the objective truth, however. Basically, everyone recognized the basic themes each other's behaviors and beliefs, they just put it into thier own terms.

Thus, the Alkothi peasant soldier looked at an Orlanthi thane and thought "A strongman - he controls the food and the women. I'll follow him loyally and get on the gravy train.", while the thane looked at the soldier and thought "huscarl - I'd better reward him to keep him loyal".

   We all recognized a "peaceful cut" ceremony, as well as ceremonies for spring planting, first harvest, and weddings. Everyone added a bit of their own customs to the rituals, and it worked pretty well. We couldn't understand each other enough to argue whether Elmal could push Yelmalio off the head of a pin...

Pam