Troll gender issues, printed digest, Fried Bread

From: Paul Chapman <mercutio_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 20:07:23 +0100

Hi Y'all!

Toasted Cheese Sarnies/Fried Bread:

Pam Carlson cheekily suggested that the English Toasted Cheese Sandwich is in fact Fried Bread. Well, Pam, by now I'm sure you know that's wrong. How did you come by this delusion may I ask? Does any Brit out there actually think that Pam's not mistaken here?

Now, a _real_ example of _intra-cultural_ culinary diversity is the fact that whilst I agree with Jane about Fried Bread being fried ideally after the Bacon, I'd rather fry my own face than cook it after the egg. But then again, I don't eat eggs (except soft-boiled, with soldiers). And I cook all my fry-ups in a mixture of oil and butter for full heart-stopping value. Tastes great though - maybe we should have a communal fry-up at the next Convulsion (I'll happily lead the ritual)! And Pam, if you can make it there, I'll happily demonstrate what we _do_ mean by a toasted cheese sandwich!

A genuine example of _inter-cultural_ culinary confusion (ICCC) is the way that if you go to the States and ask for some chips they give you a bag of crisps! ;-)

Troll Gender Issues:

I think everyone's missing the point about the name for a male/female Troll... it's a strange guttural Darktongue word that none of us have probably ever heard. "Troll" is not a Troll word, it is a word used by non-trolls to describe the Uz in general. And even that's not entirely true, because there are different languages n' all. The Pelorian word for
"Troll" is probably a "curse word", frex. Well, I don't have time to say a
lot more... even "Uzko" is a racial not a gender-based word. In Gloranthan reality, I suspect Trolls just have Darktongue words for "man" and "woman" and an all-encompassing word for "human" that they use for both sexes, just in the same way a Sartarite might call a male or female Uzko
"Troll".

I also don't think that the trollish matriarchy is equivalent to a reversed RW patriarchy in the way a lot of people seem to think... sorry, gals. This is not a TSR-style masturbation fantasy of cute women with loads of Male characteristics and feeble men, instead it is a matriarchy whereby the males still have the male characteristics, but the women are strong and the _female_ characteristics are valued strongly in society. I really don't think that Troll society is like a reversed Victorian England, I really don't. And I have loads of material to back this up, but no time to talk about it now.

Printing the Digest:

An idea I've had on a smaller scale already, and a good one IMO. I was just going to print out what I could get of the digests and take them along to Convulsion for anyone to read; just a small service for anyone who doesn't have e-mail and might be interested. But I'm behind a larger scale collation and printing and hereby volunteer some of my limited soare time and resources to helping out. So whoever's interested, mail me.

Have a great Equinox all,
Paul.