Toasted Cheese

From: Martin Laurie <MLaurie_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 19:19:24 -0400

Hmmm, I can see now why Pam thought I said Toasted Cheese sandwhiches were fried bread. It never occured to me that the yanks fried their toasted cheese sandwhiches, I kind of thought they....well....toasted them....with a toaster, that kind of thing.

However to end the issue.

Fried bread is merely a slice of bread put in a frying pan and fried, usually with butter. Cheese has never nor ever will attatch itself to =

fried bread as it instantly (as if by some bizarre chemical reaction) =

becomes a cheese toastie of a sort.

Then again when I went to the supermarket in the States with Pam =

once, the brave Sir Neil Robinson stepped in nobly to translate my =

desire for the "Biscuit section" (I was desperate for some scottish =

shortbread) into "he means Cookies Pam" as Pam thought I was =

referring to a bun kind of thing which Americans call a biscuit.

Perhaps the funniest thing I've ever seen in my life food wise was =

when I'd been in Canada for a few months and one of my friends =

made me a cup of tea. I asked for milk and he brought out a carton with the words "HOMO MILK" written in large, clear letters on the side. =

I can clearly remember the looks of bemusement on my Canadian =

friends faces as I rolled around laughing on the floor.

Imagine selling HOMO MILK in North East England on the shelves =

next to the bottles of Newcaslte Brown Ale and stottie cake? Oh, its =

too funny. (BTW its short for homogenised) =

Weird.

Martin Laurie