misc

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 21:31:19 -0800

Paul Chapman

>I think everyone's missing the point about the name for a male/female
>Troll... it's a strange guttural Darktongue word that none of us have
>probably ever heard.

        Sure - but thats not the point. We are trying to work out what we should call them. And if we can get some insights into troll society while we are at it, thats fine (I liked the idea that the uz use the feminine form as the non-gender specific form, frex).

> The Pelorian word for
>"Troll" is probably a "curse word", frex.

        Dijijelm, roughly translated as darkness monster, I think.

>it is a matriarchy whereby the
>males still have the male characteristics, but the women are strong and the
>_female_ characteristics are valued strongly in society.

	Female characteristics like being bigger and stronger?
	The Uz matriarchy is not a simple reversal of human sex roles. But
that doesn't mean its a society that highly values a human concept of femininity. The troll concept of what it is to be a great female troll includes being big and tough and scary as hell, as well as a good mother. They just ain't human, and thats that.

Andrew Joelson
> I was under the impression that Eyteries came to the Lunar Empire/
>pantheon _from_ the Carmanians.

        Nup. Etyries was a real person, who lived during the lifetime of the Red Goddess. A former human being.

> The bit about Etyries being Issaries' daughter probably came about
>as one of the 'marry into the Lunar pantheon' efforts.

        Its a way of explaining why she is a divine being, with access to lots of Issaries magic. But really, she was just a mortal, who may have 'proved' that she was Issaries daughter at some point.

        (from the Entekosiad)

        Age

        I turned 10,000 days old recently (possibly while in Seattle, but I think a day or so before). I missed out on the '60s by but one week.

	Cheers
		David