KOS, porcupine, rant

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 02:51:42 -0800

Jane talks about looking at KOS as a puzzle to solve and says that Greg cheats
>Just as an example, you
> can't understand why Harrek left Hendrikiland and hit Boldhome instead
>unless you know who Jarang is. And he's only mentioned in RQ2 material.

        Well, you've got me there. I don't know, and I have the RQ2 material - is this Jarang Bladesong you refer to?

        I agree about the puzzle. Sometimes Greg is too obviously trying to obfuscate, though, like the mixing two genealogies from unrelated sources and calling it the true genealogy of the one Argrath.

        But the real cheat is that Greg doesn't really want there to be an answer. I asked him at RQ Con DU in the Lore auction about whether Argrath King of Sartar and Argrath White Bull where the same person (I don't think so, but I'd welcome opposing arguments), and his answer was basically 'if you want them to be', IIRC.

>Why did GRoY and FS fail? Well to start with, they don't have any good
>stories. And to make matters worse, they're about Solar cultures.

        Maybe you'll like the Entekosiad more. Its become my favourite, despite being initially the least appicable to 3rd age Glorantha. Its mostly from a Pelandan womens goddesses point of view, and has lots of things that are interesting to think about in it, like how the modern Lunars interpret it all, and the only widely available recent example of what Greg thinks a heroquest is like to undergo, described in some detail. Whether you'll like the stories is a matter of taste.

jane also says
>What's porcupine like? And why is it frightening to eat? To cacth, I can
>understand, but if it's already dead, what's the problem?

        There is an excellent answer to that question in a book called Bridge of Birds, by Barry Hughart, set in mythical china, and an excellent source of Kralorelan ideas. Heartily recommended.

Mr V.S. Greene responds to Pams outrage on not buying tFS, GRoY, etc
> Heck, do you expect us to go out and buy every fraggin' thing Greg
>elects to publish at whatever price even if we have reason to believe (from
>reading KoS) that it won't be all that great a read?

        No. What I expect is that if you haven't read tFS, GRoY, Entekosiad, etc then when subjects detailed therein are being discussed, you retain an open mind and assume that these outrageous opinion some people hold are due to their wider knowledge, not gibber in outrage that things are not the way it said in Cults of Terror. Its simple, really. If you don't want to buy them, then you miss out, , not complain about how they ruin the Digest because people actually want to talk about them, and are their outlandish content ruins the pure RQ2 vision. Thats all.

        Cheers

                David